Top 6 Extreme Vacations

Posted on April 8, 2010 by

Adrenaline junkies alert! Tired of conventional travel, cultural tours and no-thrills vacations? Forget about backpacking through Europe or beach-hopping in Central America. These days, there are plenty of exhilarating activities out there, enough to fuel up your bodies and get your heart racing. Gear yourself up for some wacky adventure as I bring you some of the most adrenaline-filled trips around the world that’s guaranteed to make you feel alive again!

1.   Spelunking: New Zealand

Spelunking – also known as caving or potholing – is the thrilling sport of exploring wild cave systems. It might involve lots of climbing, rappelling and crawling depending on how big the space is. In New Zealand, there are plenteous undiscovered underground systems that can make spelunking fanatics go wild. From cave tubing to swimming in an underground waterfall – the Ruakuri Cave and Waitomo Caves are some of the best in the country to explore.

2423208566_930e8b8019  Flickr photo by ccheviron

2. Drag Racing: Australia

If you’d always wished you were a Formula 1 racer, then drag racing might make your fantasy come true. The heart-pumping car race was first started in the US, but now there are plenty of legal racing schools all over the world. Using slick, power-packed racing cars, you’re guaranteed to have your groove on. These schools provide safety instructions, explicit guidelines and familiarization practices. Ken Lowe Race Cars holds schools at Willowbank Raceway in Queensland. Include  a drag-racing package in your trip to Australia and you’re in for a fast ride.

A-Bob-4_1 Photo from draglist.com

3. Shark Diving: South Africa

Imagine getting face to face with the great white shark, inches away from his grinding teeth and massive body.  At Shark Alley, near the fishing village of Gansbaai, South Africa, dive operators organize these shark diving expeditions that allow you to swim in a cage in shark-infested waters. The sharks are curious animals and tend to come close to the cage to examine you. It’s definitely going to scare any daredevil out there!

new-gallery-38 Photo from white-shark-diving.com

4. Dirt-biking: Thailand

In the jungles of Chiangmai and Phuket, there are plenty of adventure tour outfitters that organize activities from dirt-biking to zorbing, off-road buggie rides and paintball. Dirt-biking is especially thrilling along the jungle trails, mud paths and up into the hill tribes. There’s plenty of rugged terrain to ensure even the most experienced riders’ skills are tested but just as thrilling for many is seeing parts of Thailand not seen by most tourists.

364309514_9ad58fcd21 Flickr photo by therealneurox

5. Expeditions to Remote Lands: Antarctic

Expeditions to the isolated Antarctic are getting more popular among extreme travelers. These cruises bring curious visitors into the end of the world, where wildly low temperatures and out-of-this-world landscapes await. Expect to spend your time watching penguins, kayaking amidst icebergs and getting up-close and personal with massive ice sheets.

941124452_e698de13f1 Flickr photo by goneforawander

6. Volcano-Climbing: Guatemala

Walking amidst 300degC lava can be quite a mind-blowing experience especially when you know that the volcano you are climbing can erupt at any minute. Among the active volcanoes in the world, Volcan Pacaya in Guatemala is perhaps the most accessible and popular volcanoes to visit. Within 2 hours of climbing from the base, you’ll have reached the peak, where fumes and red-hot lava surround you.

Blazing lava

Reference: Shermans Travel

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Related Posts:

Comments

comments

13 Responses to “Top 6 Extreme Vacations”

1. TheJetpacker April 7, 2010 5:53 pm

After watching those vampire-ish things kill people in "The Descent," I don't think I'll be going spelunking. Shark-diving, on the other hand, sounds cool. Maybe rock climbing and cliff diving should make the list?

• admin April 8, 2010 5:30 pm

haha I watched that movie too, it doesn’t get closer than that! Cliff diving, wow that sounds like crazy fun! Do you know where people do that? I’ve seen Malta featured as a cliff-diving site on TV, but never saw it when I was there. Rock climbing in Jordan is quite popular as well.

2. ricki@tripbase April 8, 2010 3:43 am

My heart is racing just from reading this post! I'd love to work up the courage for shark diving though.

• Nellie April 8, 2010 5:05 am

Me too! To be honest, I haven\’t done many of the things on the list, but they\’re definitely on my bucket list. Shark-diving is definitely my pick for the scariest activity!

3. Migration Mark April 8, 2010 5:46 pm

I desperately tried to get to Antarctica when I was at the bottom of South America, but there was no easy or should I say cheap way to get there. However, if I ever make a bit of money, I would love to check out some of those remote islands.

• admin April 9, 2010 4:17 am

Yes me too, would definitely head out there. These Antarctic cruises cost over $12,000 per person, it’s a great deal of money man.

4. Dina VagabondQuest April 10, 2010 8:51 am

Antarctica right now is one of the highest items in my place to visit list! I saw so many gorgeous pictures of ice and penguins.
    Among above list, I think the shark diving is the scariest for me, but if I happen in the location, I might do it. They guaranty it's safe, right? right? :)
    Have you heard of bungee jumping from a helicopter above a crater lake? I looks really scary. I'll give you the link to it if I can find it again.

The one from your list that I have done is the cave tubing in Waitomo glowworm cave, it makes one of my most memorable moment of the North Island of New Zealand. If you are curious about the detail, here it is: http://www.vagabondquest.com/new-zealand/black-wa

So, which ones from the six you wrote above that you have experienced? :)

• admin April 11, 2010 3:52 am

Dina, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Yes, Antarctica is a dream – but I think someday we’ll get there.

Oh bungee jumping above a crater lake? Woo sounds incredible. I bungee-jumped above a lake, doubt it was as scary, but still was nerve-wrecking!

I was going to include heli-skiing in the list, but haven’t read much about it and don’t know enough info to write on it. I’m sure it is hell of an adventure too.

Personally, I’ve only climbed an active volcano in Guatemala – the least scary one I would say. I can’t wait to try out the rest, esp dirt-biking and spelunking. ;)

• Dina VagabondQuest April 11, 2010 3:05 am

Lucky you :) I've seen a few other volcano climbing pictures in a traveler's blog post, not sure the same location or not, but looking so similar with yours above. They were roasting marshmallow. I definitely want to do that too, but it's too far away from where I am now. Hope it will stay like that for a while until I come!

5. Akila April 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Holy smokes! I didn't know about volcano climbing in Guatemala. Sign me up!

6. adriansabah April 30, 2010 5:47 pm

I vote for Expeditions to the Antarctic. It would be great just to have been to the Antarctic.

1. Weekend Reading – Best Travel Blogs From Around The Web (4-9 April) | As We Travel - April 9, 2010

[...] Top 6 Extreme Vacations – do you like extreme sports? then this blog is for you! Nellie (Wild Junket) gives us her top 6 adventure vacations – from Spelunking in New Zealand to Volcano-Climbing in Guatemala – this blog has something for all you adrenaline junkies! [...]

2. Best Beach in SE Asia: Mai Khao | Wanderfly Blog - February 22, 2011

[...] emptiness. Mai Khao sits just outside of Phuket, one of Thailand’s most interesting and adventurous cities. But if you’re feeling the city-blues, it doesn’t  take long to escape. Mai [...]