A Play of Colors: Mozambique Above the Clouds

Posted on September 4, 2012 by

Getting to Bazaruto Island, Mozambique, was an experience on its own. Onboard a light aircraft, we flew over the spearmint blue water off the sparkling coast of Vilanculos, past hundreds of submerged atolls, to get to Indigo Bay. The sea was painted in striated strokes of beige and white, with subtle hints of sand dunes dancing beneath the water surface.

Tiny sailboats looked like little lego pieces lost in the vast sea of blue. Patchworks of islands were scattered throughout the sea and clusters of seaweeds sprinkled along the light beige seabed resembled polka dots on a table cloth. These sand formations were naturally created by the warm, southward-flowing Mozambique Current – but from above, they looked like the work of an artist.

Some say, the journey itself is often more important than the destination. In this case, I can’t agree more. Words don’t do the Mozambique coastline any justice – I’ll let Alberto’s photos do the talking. Enjoy the play of colors!

Sailboats lost in the sea

Sailboats lost in the sea of blue

A sailboat in the turquoise sea

Cruising over underwater sand dunes

Sand dunes beneath the water

Folds of sand beneath the water formed by the warm Mozambique Current

Sand dunes on Bazaruto

Mountains of Gold: Sand dunes on Bazaruto Island

Closer to the sea

A lonesome sail boat drifting in the shallow waters

A hundred shades of blue

A hundred shades of blue splashed across the sea

Polka dots in the sea

Clusters of seaweeds resemble polka dots on a blue silky cloth

A dolphin-shaped island

A dolphin-shaped island off the coast

Arriving on Bazaruto island

Closing in on Bazaruto Island

Near Vilanculos, mainland Mozambique

Over the town of Vilanculos

Vilanculos coastline

Reaching mainland Mozambique – where the waters off the coast are clear as glass

Disclaimer: Our trip to Mozambique was made possible by Indigo Bay (Rani Resorts) and Nicky Arthur PR, but as always, all opinions expressed above are our own.

26 Responses to “A Play of Colors: Mozambique Above the Clouds”

1. Gene September 5, 2012 4:54 am #

The photography is outstanding.

2. Dean September 5, 2012 7:56 am #

Wow this looks like a really beautiful flight. That ocean looks so inviting!

3. Jeremy Branham September 6, 2012 2:38 am #

Beautiful colors! Love the different shades of blue and so awesome that you can actually see it underneath the water.

4. Yonderblog December 5, 2012 9:59 pm #

What amazing photos! The underwater sand dunes look unreal!

5. Migration Expert December 19, 2012 1:04 am #

I love the skyline view of the shore and the ocean. Mother earth is really beautiful!

6. sendmybookaroundtheworld January 1, 2013 8:00 pm #

What an incredible journey this must have been. Fabulous images!

7. anna January 16, 2013 12:34 pm #

absolutely gorgeous!

8. Andy January 19, 2013 9:43 pm #

Incredible pictures! I have heard some really nice stuff about Mozambique, it seems like an incredible place to explore. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

9. meandmypassport January 23, 2013 9:12 pm #

O em gee!! Breathtaking!!

10. Jay Daviot March 23, 2013 8:49 am #

Beautiful shots! I am heading back over to Africa next week to visit Namibia and this post has just made me even more excited!! Cheers for sharing!

• panetes November 14, 2013 1:59 am #

I love Namibia and have written quite a lot about it here, enjoy your trip!

11. Mindy and Ligeia April 4, 2013 3:13 am #

These pictures are incredibly beautiful! Can't wait to get there some day. :)

12. sourabh April 9, 2013 5:56 am #

I visited Caribbean last month and wa amazed to see clean and charming colors of nature. I had never seen such clear water, such azure sky, and such cool breeze playing with my hair. It was awesome indeed. Thanks to

13. www.moreiraneto.com.br April 21, 2013 6:46 am #

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain (1835-1910

14. www.abera.fr April 21, 2013 6:49 am #

Thanks very much for your distinct website;this is the stuff that keeps me on track through the day. Ive been searching around for this site after I heard about them from a buddy and was pleased when I was able to find it after searching for long time. Being a avid blogger, Im pleased to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Just wanted to comment to show my appreciation for your website as its very enticing, and many writers do not get credit they deserve. I am sure Ill visit again and will recommend to my friends

15. Canyoning Wales April 25, 2013 3:27 am #

Incredible images, they are so beautiful. I LOVE the one of the two sailing boats, I've got it as a screen saver to both my laptop and mobile. Great work!

16. link building service April 26, 2013 11:41 pm #

Hello there! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find
    a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.

If you have any suggestions, please share. Thank you!

17. Keandre Morris May 22, 2013 2:29 am #

Love the sand dune patterns… They look pretty much like paintings, and by that I mean masterpieces! Don't you just love the ocean!? Amazing images once again.

• Nellie May 26, 2013 11:25 pm #

Thank you Keandre! Alberto really did a great job of capturing the sand dunes and ocean from above. This was definitely the most amazing scenic flight we\’ve done and I can\’t wait to head back to Mozambique and explore more.

18. Mika June 16, 2013 1:48 am #

wow, photos great, I like phôt

19. curso de aerografia July 4, 2013 12:10 pm #

885261 297184

1. Best Travel Blog Posts, September 3-7 - Travel Freak - September 10, 2012

[...] A Play of Colors: Mozambique Above the Clouds // Wild Junket [...]

2. A Play of Colors: Mozambique Above the Clouds | Been Travelin - September 10, 2012

[...] post A Play of Colors: Mozambique Above the Clouds appeared first on Wild [...]

3. Video: Island Life on Bazaruto, Mozambique - Wild Junket - September 27, 2012

[...] How to get there: The only way to get there is via a light aircraft service by CFA Charters from Vilanculos. The flight itself is well worth the trip as the view is phenomenal, check out our photos from the scenic flight. [...]

4. 2012: Our Year in Photos - Wild Junket - December 31, 2012

[...] and unexplored, but we were surprised to find creature comforts always within our reach. The flight to Bazaruto itself was well worth the [...]