Canyons, Hot Springs and Roman Ruins: Jordan at First Glance

Posted on May 30, 2011 by

This week, I’m in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan for a week of adventure. The last time I was here, Jordan blew my mind away with its extraordinary landscapes, rich culture and good food. To me, the journey to Jordan felt like a less-trodden path in comparison to Egypt and Israel. A pity we had spent so little time in Jordan – I promised myself I would return someday to dig a little deeper so I’m thrilled to be back here exploring a bit more of Jordan.

I’ve just arrived in Amman, the capital of Jordan, ready to get reacquainted with this country. On my way here, I was slightly nervous – feeling as though I was about to reunite with an ex-lover. Would Jordan be as amazing as I’d remember it to be? Or would it disappoint?

The minute I arrived, I knew  I didn’t have to worry. The Arabic scribbles, the chaotic traffic, the smiles of the people and colors of its food told me I was at the right place. Beautiful memories came flooding back, leaving me craving for more.

As a guest of the Jordan Tourism Board, I’ll be traipsing around the entire country and experiencing both its major highlights and offbeat corners. From Amman, we headed to the historic city of Jerash to visit its impressive display of Roman ruins before crossing the majestic Ma’in Valley to get to the hot springs esconced within. Over the week, we’ll be hiking through the Dana Nature Reserve, staying at a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum, floating at the Dead Sea and diving to the depths of the Red Sea. I’ll be reporting back shortly, in the meantime, here are a few of the snapshots I took today – enjoy!

An oval-shaped plaza in the ancient ruins of Jerash.

The South Amphitheatre in Jerash

Reaching for the sky – Roman columns in Jerash

Beautiful plate of Jordanian sweets

Shish kebab fresh from the grill

Hot spring waterfalls at Ma’in

Stylish wooden furnishing at the Evason Six Senses Ma’in

Leafy olive garden in the Ma’in hot springs resort

This trip was made possible by Jordan Tourism Board, but all opinions are my own. Read more about my travels in Jordan here.

9 Responses to “Canyons, Hot Springs and Roman Ruins: Jordan at First Glance”

1. Abhijit May 30, 2011 10:16 pm #

Great wide angle photos Nellie! Especially loved the first two! :)

2. loca 4 motion May 30, 2011 12:22 pm #

I love your wide angle plaza shot Nell and the plate of sweets! Jordan is on my list – waiting to see more of your adventures there!

• Prakash January 2, 2013 10:46 am #

What a beautiful shot! I love the depth. I would love to learn how to craete more depth in my photos I have a question. It’s probably a silly one as I really am a newbie I see your photos in a variety of tones, black and white, sepia, etc. How do you do that? I have a Sony alpha DSLR, I take my pictures, upload to my computer and they’re in colour. How can I play with the images, say, to craete a black and white image? What software would you recommend?Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

3. Traveling Ted May 30, 2011 2:44 pm #

Beautiful photos, look forward to more posts on Jordan.

• Jonathan November 22, 2012 12:51 pm #

So you have gotten this far. Tried the ensdels crunches Check. The ab rollers as well as other ab gimmicks Check. Spent hundreds on gym club memberships Check. Just what are the secrets of the very best six pack abs workouts.The truth is that the very best six pack ab workout routines incorporate an efficient and complete exercise program, a wholesome diet plan, and low body fat which allows you to show off those abs. It is possible to read articles on the web and in magazines, it is possible to obtain expensive equipment, but the most effective remedy is just to obtain the expert support by purchasing an instructional abs DVD.

4. BCoyne May 31, 2011 3:39 pm #

Great pics of the most AMAZING places .
    Thanks for sharing with the rest of thew world! BC

5. A Lady in London May 31, 2011 11:27 pm #

Great post, and beautiful photos. I have stayed at the Evason Ma'in twice, and am still in awe of how beautiful the waterfalls are!

6. Joshywashington June 1, 2011 2:33 pm #

AMAZING photos! I have wanted to go to Jordan ever since I began to travel! Beautiful photos, delicious looking food, ruins and history…i am there.

1. Highlights of Jordan – From the Desert to the Sea | Wild Junket - August 19, 2011

[...] its numerous historical sites and museums. Two of the most important historical sites in Jordan are Jerash, an impressive Roman city, and Petra, the massive ancient city voted as one of the new 7 wonders of the [...]