Latin America Blogs

Posted on September 11, 2009 by

Colorful Artisan stalls of La Paz, Bolivia

As I make my way through Latin America, I’ve stumbled upon the works of many brilliant travel bloggers based in the region (and even met a few), who have provided an interesting gringo perspective of this amazingly diverse and characteristic part of the world. Here are some to share:

South America

The Future is Red is Leigh’s chronicles of living in Salta, Argentina, unraveling different sides of the country. She and her family have moved from the US to Panama and now Argentina. I personally had a great time with them in Salta when we popped in for a visit!

The Carey Adventures showcase the brilliant photography works of Peter, who also writes on Peru, Argentina and Mexico. He has recently set up his own photography business, check his work at Hidden Creek Photography. He has also featured my photos on his blog.

Amateur Traveler Chris Christensen produces a weekly hour-long audio and video podcast where he talks to various travelers and shares his tales on places like Uruguay, Venezuela and Colombia.

Streets of Antigua, Guatemala

Central America

The Travel Experta, Marina, blogs about every detail of life in Costa Rica -  whipping up local dishes and secret hot spots in Central America. She owns a tour operator in Costa Rica, so she sure as hell knows it inside out!

Collazo Projects is Matador’s editor Julie Collazo’s fruit of labor. She writes about a wide variety of topics (cooking, art, politics) involving Central America and the Caribbean, especially Cuba and Puerto Rico. Her Cuban husband also contributes to the blog with his interesting take.

Manzanillo Blog, a gringos take on living in Manzanillo, Mexico, covers areas from surfing to spa. It has been nominated by the Lonely Planet travel blog awards.

Tours to Nicaragua is an informative blog on the latest happenings and cultural facts of Nicaragua. You can also check out the tours organized by her company.

Luxury Latin America Blog gives the jetsetter tips on leading the high life from Uruguay to Belize. Private charter planes and villa rentals – if you love leading life in style, you hafta check it out!

Forums

Visiting Latin America Network is a useful social media to connect with fellow travelers visiting the region and exchange ideas or tips. Join the forum and you’re in for some treat!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Related Posts:

Comments

comments

10 Responses to “Latin America Blogs”

1. marina K. Villatoro September 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Hey!
    What great blogs, I've got so many new ones to add to my daily reads! Thanks:)

2. nomadic matt September 22, 2009 8:17 am

thanks for the great new sites to check out!

3. Catherine September 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for all these recommendations – as a London blogger living in Mexico City…it is great to see what other bloggers are up to in the region…thanks very much!!

4. Leigh October 13, 2009 5:25 am

Thank you for including us in your list of Latin American blogs. We had a great time hanging out in Salta with you.

And while I already knew of some of the blogs you mention, you’ve given some great new ones for me to read too.

Besos!

5. Amanda December 2, 2009 8:35 am

Thank you so much for this invaluable list. I've been reading some of your posts while planning my trip to South America. Very generous of you to point me to other, equally wonderful resources. Gives me real confidence for planning my trip of a lifetime!

• Nellie January 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks Amanda, glad my list was of help. I'm sure you'll have an awesome time in South America! Let me know how it goes. ;)

6. Jonathan White January 5, 2010 5:33 am

Whenever i was planning a global exodus i would usually spend months preparing with copies of lonely planet and the rough guide, however i;ve slowly developed an aversion to planning in this manner. It seems that once places get the seal of approval from such books the qualities for which they are praised seem to slip due to the lonely planet curse. With such a vast resource of up to date inside knowledge from travel blogs it is much easier to plot a more authentic experience whilst i'm away. I wholeheartedly agree with the other comments posted here, resources like this are truly invaluable.

• Nellie January 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Jonathan, glad you found the other blogs useful too. I agree how personal experiences tend to be much more interesting and insightful than guidebooks!

7. Laura January 26, 2011 12:35 pm

It's always great to discover other Latin American bloggers to follow. I'm familiar with most on the list but a few were new to me. Thanks for the suggestions! ;-)

1. Latin American Summit on Business Travel Technology Returns to Brazil | travel the world deals, world travel guide, holiday travel deals - July 23, 2012

[...] Latin American Summit on Business Travel Technology returns to BrazilLatin America Blogs – Wild Junket [...]