A collection of the best travel quotes that are sure to inspire you to head out there and explore!
As a writer, every now and then, I stumble across quotes that make my heart race thinking about traversing the sea to far-flung places like Japan or Africa, or combing through Latin America to see Brazil and Chile. I’ve collected them and shared them here with you, hope they will inspire you to head out there and see the world. Enjoy!
1. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. – St. Augustine
2. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware. – Martin Buber
3. The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land. – Gilbert K. Chesterton
4. Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen. – Benjamin Disraeli
5. When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable. – Clinton Fadiman
Photo by Kobusm from Travellerspoint
6. To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. – Aldous Huxley
7. The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are. – Samuel Johnson
8. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home. – James A. Michener
9. Throw your dream into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country. – Anais Nin
10. He who would travel happily must travel light. – Antoine de St. Exupery
11. Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives, and the serious part of frivolous ones. – Anne Sophie Swetchine
12. There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign. – Robert Louis Stevenson
13. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain
14. I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are. – Diane von Furstenberg
15. What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do, especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road. – William Least Heat Moon
16. The great difference between voyages rests not with the ships, but with the people you meet on them. – Amelia E. Barr
17. Own only what you can carry with you; Let your memory be your travel bag. – Alexander Solzhenitsyn
18. Wherever you go, go with all your heart. – Confucius
19. Travel has a way of stretching the mind. The stretch comes not from travel’s immediate rewards, the inevitable myriad new sights, smells and sounds, but with experiencing firsthand how others do differently what we believed to be right and only way. – Ralph Crawshaw
20. I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. – Bill Bryson
Which is your favorite travel quote?