An Instagram Photo Tour of East Africa

Posted on October 18, 2013 by

I’m currently writing from the lush green grasslands of Lake Nakuru, Kenya, where we’re in the middle of our overland trip in East Africa. Over the past two weeks, we’ve covered long distances and packed in tons of activities from gorilla tracking to boat trips on dugout canoes and orphanage visits. It’s been a journey riddled with phenomenal wildlife sightings, and I’ll surely be writing more about them shortly. In the meantime, I’m making full use of the limited internet access to share some iPhone shots with you, enjoy!

20131018-110811.jpg

Coming across a 10-year-old female gorilla in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda.

20131018-104510.jpg

A baboon sneaking right up to us at Lake Nakuru National Park.

20131018-104711.jpg

Plenty of wildlife at Lake Nakuru: from maribu storks to cape buffaloes and gazelles.

20131018-104802.jpg

Game driving on a 4WD jeep in Lake Nakuru.

20131018-104826.jpg

The sparkling waters of Lake Nakuru.

20131018-104851.jpg

A view of the Nile from Adrift Campsite in Jinja, Uganda.

20131018-104939.jpg

Camping life in Africa is plenty of fun.

20131018-105033.jpg

Busy, chaotic streets of Kampala, Uganda.

20131018-110737.jpg

Driving past the agricultural fields in Rwanda.

20131018-110845.jpg

Posing with the gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

20131018-110939.jpg

My favorite place on the trip so far: Lake Bunyoni, Uganda.

20131018-111047.jpg

Masai performing their traditional dance ritual in Masai Mara, Kenya.

20131018-111421.jpg

The children of Little Angels project in Lake Bunyoni, Uganda.

20131018-104409.jpg

A gorgeous agama lizard spotted in Lake Nakuru.

Disclaimer: This trip is made possible by Africa Travel Co, but all opinions expressed are our own.

Comments

comments

12 Responses to “An Instagram Photo Tour of East Africa”

1. Passport Dave October 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Wow Nellie, those photos are inspiring to say the least. Africa is just one of those destinations you never hear about all the time. I envy how close you got to the Gorillas. I can't wait to get to Africa sometime myself, hopefully in the near future. Looks like an amazing time!

• Nellie October 30, 2013 1:36 pm

It was truly an amazing experience. Just the sheer idea of being on foot next to an enormous animal made it really exciting. I will be writing more about it shortly!

2. Rashad Pharaon October 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Amazing photos – love how you include all aspects of Uganda, from the people to the wildlife to some seriously gorgeous lakes!

• Nellie October 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks Rashad! I will be writing more about Uganda over the next few weeks, and sharing photos taken with my DSLR. Stay tuned. ;)

3. Ross October 30, 2013 9:52 am

Those photos are cool. I would agree that Lake Bunyoni is one of the coolest spots I was in too. The hotels are great and the place so peaceful. Did you rent one of the 'corkscrew' canoes? Very hard to steer. I would have hate to see a plan of our route from place to place!!

• Nellie October 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks! Yes we spent four days at Lake Bunyoni and I really loved it. We did a short trip on the dugout canoe – it was so peaceful and calm. I heard about the \’mzungu corkscrew\’ but didnt get to paddle myself haha!

4. Marian Smith November 5, 2013 11:47 pm

Amazing photos, can't believe you come too close to the gorillas. And I must agree that lake looks so cool..

• Nellie November 6, 2013 1:28 pm

Yes I took these photos with my iPhone! Im just writing up my gorilla tracking experience – it definitely ranks high as one of my favorite wildlife experiences in the world.

5. Miriam January 6, 2014 1:58 am

Wow Nellie…thanks for a good representation of Uganda – the people and wildlife. I am Ugandan, totally enjoy lake Bunyonyi – the peace and beauty can not be found anywhere else.

6. Musinguzi Duncan January 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Thank you for vistting http://www.littleangelsuganda.org

• Nellie January 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Great to see you here Duncan, thanks for having me!

1. An Instagram Photo Tour of East Africa | Everything TravelsEverything Travels - October 18, 2013

[...] post An Instagram Photo Tour of East Africa appeared first on Wild [...]