7 of the Cheapest Travel Destinations in the World

Posted on October 31, 2012 by

Travel has a reputation for being expensive, but whilst that’s often the case it’s equally true that there are some exceptional bargains around if you’re willing to spread your wings a bit further. In many parts of the world it’s possible to live on only a few pounds a day – or in luxury for the same amount of money as you would spend at home. Here are seven of the cheapest destinations in the world, based on our own experiences and research.

1. India

This huge, sprawling country has an incredible amount to offer. Although there are plenty of tourist traps in the big cities, you’ll find super-low prices as well as a more authentic cultural experience once you veer off the beaten path. Most parts of India are highly affordable, from Mumbai to Rajasthan and everywhere in between. All in all, you should be able to exist very comfortably for £10 a day.

Taj Mahal

2. Tunisia

Tunisia’s capital is consistently ranked among the world’s cheapest cities by Mercer who conducts an annual survey on worldwide cost. The coastal city is where the Mediterranean meets North Africa, with the best of both cultures at a fraction of the price you might expect from nearby countries such as Italy. It continues to be the cheapest city in the region of Middle East and Africa.

Souk in TunisFlickr image by liketearsintherain

3. Eastern Europe

You can expect to pay comparable prices to those home in Western Europe, but a little further east and you’ll find a very different picture. Food and accommodation are excellent value and they’re often cheap to fly to from European hubs like London and Paris. There is plenty to see and do for free here as well as historically-rich sites to visit. Head for some of the quieter spots in Slovakia, Albania or Macedonia; you’ll find the capitals are reasonable value but further afield prices are truly outstanding.

Lake Ohrid, Macedonia

4. Vietnam and Cambodia

These are well-known tourist destinations thanks to their stunning scenery and cultural heritage, but their popularity among backpackers means that there are plenty of places where prices are ideal for the budget traveler. It’s possible to get an excellent meal – including beer – for $3, and a decent hotel won’t cost much more. There’s so much to see: from beautiful Sapa n Northern Vietnam to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, you can easily spend months exploring this region.

Sapa, Vietnam

5. Thailand

In fact, Southeast Asia is good value all over, and Thailand is another destination where it’s possible to stretch your money almost twice as far as at home. Recent flooding and political problems have driven prices lower still, and you’ll be helping to boost the local economy. Whether you head to the beach or inland into the jungles, Thailand has all sorts of adventure for the budget traveler

temple in Chiangmai

6. Mexico

On a similar theme, Mexico has had plenty of bad publicity recently thanks to a series of high-profile drug killings. Unfortunately the whole country has been tainted by association, despite the fact that its beautiful stretches of beaches and quaint towns are nowhere near the violence and remain completely unaffected.

Tulum

7. Greece

One to watch. Already cheap due to its struggling economy, if Greece crashes out of the Euro and reverts to the Drachma then your dollars could suddenly go literally twice as far against the vastly devalued currency. Public transport and other services may be shaky for a while longer, so make contingency plans – or build some flexibility into your timetable and stay longer.

AthensFlickr photo by Arian Zwegers

Comments

comments

72 Responses to “7 of the Cheapest Travel Destinations in the World”

1. midlifewanderlust1965 November 1, 2012 3:34 pm

Thank you for that list.

2. Laurience November 3, 2012 8:45 pm

Vietnam and Cambodia are really interesting places to visit especially Cambodia. Love this post and a nice list

3. waysofwanderers November 3, 2012 9:53 pm

Great list – I love that you covered a variety of places all over the world. I would definitely add Laos along with the other destinations in SE Asia. It's even cheaper than Thailand, but equally as fascinating.

4. Rauszeit November 4, 2012 10:40 am

Great list :-) At some point you might want to add Morocco to it. For us one of the most inexpensive place to be.

5. Joseph November 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi. Such a valuable post for traveling freaks. I love to go Mexico.

6. Vacation November 22, 2012 3:10 am

This is a great list of resources. This article provides a brief information about some of most popular and cheapest travel destinations in the world. India is the home to numerous tourist destinations which are full of tourists’ delight. There are so many tourist destinations in india like- Kerala, Delhi, Agra, Goa, etc..

7. nepaltrek November 29, 2012 5:10 am

Gokyo Lake – Chola Pass – Everest Base Camp Trek http://www.mountainmarttreks.com

Gokyo Cho La Pass trek is famously known as the ‘high altitude trek’ of the Everest region. Beyond Lukla and Namche Bazaar, the trail first leads, over three days, to the lakes and village of Gokyo, west of Everest’s base camp.

8. Nepaltrek November 29, 2012 5:12 am

Everest Base Camp Trek http://www.mountainmarttreks.com
    The Everest Base Camp trek has been the most popular attraction in the Khumbu region, north east of Kathmandu since the peak was conquered in 1953

9. Everest trek November 29, 2012 5:15 am

Gokyo Lake Trek

Everest Gokyo Lake trek may be seen as a worthy, slightly easier and less crowded alternative to the traditional Everest Base Camp Trek. Gokyo valley trekking follows the Everest Base Camp route from Lukla, 35 minutes airstrip from Kathmandu.

10. Couponlava December 14, 2012 4:24 am

I am an Indian and belong to Jaipur, Rajasthan. I think among all these places, the cheapest is undoubtedly Agra, India where you will be able to visit one of the eight wonders of the world – The Taj Mahal. Thank you for posting this.

@Everest trek, how does it cost for a trip to Everest Gokyo Lake trek from Kathmandu?

11. Migration Expert December 19, 2012 8:39 pm

I’ve been to Thailand and I can say that all their products are cheap from clothes, foods and etc. We tried the elephant ride and it is very fun! I recommend that you should go there.

12. Claudia January 8, 2013 2:39 pm

The places are cheap for sure, but the real problem is the airfare. It's getting much more expensive to fly these days and I feel I spend more on the ticket than on hotels and eating out. It's depressing.

13. Mike's Road Trip January 11, 2013 11:55 am

Great list! I don't know how cheap eastern Europe still is, but I was there in the late 90s and it was fantastic! S.E. Asia is probably the best place to go for the buck in my opinion.

14. LG Escape P870 GPS January 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Mexico is among the cheapest yet best places to go and visit. They have exciting tourist destinations like beaches which lures and wants you to live in there.

15. town January 18, 2013 3:22 am

Wow! Most of these countries are in Asia. Philippines is also a great place to visit to and to choose from.

16. Andy January 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Number 3 is a definite… I paid like low prices for a night in hostel throughout eastern Europe. Very worth it, some of the nicer ones that I have stayed in oddly enough. Hope to visit the others one day…

17. Yankee Candles UK January 21, 2013 2:20 am

AN AIRLINES and its affiliates are the leading international airline alliance in South America providing nonstop and connecting flights to Chile, Peru, Argentina, Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, Dominican Republic and Bolivia from the United States and Europe. Every member of the LAN alliance: LAN AIRLINES, LAN PERU, LAN ECUADOR, and LAN ARGENTINA is part of oneworldTM, the world's leading quality global airline alliance providing the most extensive network to and within every major city in South America .http://www.lan.com/sitio_personas/country_selector.html?utm_source=blog&utm_med

18. facebook fans January 22, 2013 2:29 am

India is the best place to explore.. http://www.incredibleindiatravels.in/blog/india-t

19. Arnar Olaffson January 23, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks for your efforts to create very good post. I would like to recommend you one more cheapest travel destination that is Iceland. It is lovely planet and travelers love to go there and spend there vacation with their family and friends. Travelers may find lots of things to watch there like – the northern lights, REYKJAVIK:The tourist attractions in Iceland start and end with Reykjavik. Blue Lagoon, Whale Watching and many more destinations to spend their happier moments at Iceland.

20. Compass February 11, 2013 3:51 am

Hello,
    Thanks for sharing much useful information.
    According to me, India is the perfect dream destination for every traveler across all over the world.

21. laura February 12, 2013 12:54 pm

thanks for the info it really comes in handy when your traveling
    text for free at http://www.utextme4free.com

22. Kerala holiday February 13, 2013 7:03 am

If you are planning to go thailand, don't miss! Phuket… its amzingly good, Phuket is the biggest island in Thailand located approximately 860 kilometres south of Bangkok.

23. island February 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Wow! Most of these countries are in Asia. Philippines is also a great place to visit to and to choose from,visit Camiguin Island and you'll see.

24. Jacket February 20, 2013 4:07 am

Vietnam is a friendly and hospital country. Besides, many beautiful and famous landscapes such as Nha Trang, Halong Bay, Phong Nha – Ke Bang…You can enjoy delicious food from Pho….

25. Mika February 27, 2013 3:37 am

I like your post. I like it.

26. Diana February 27, 2013 7:12 am

I was talking to an Indian friend a couple of days ago about traveling to India. I thought it was pretty expensive to travel there but he said it's not. And he's right. The only thing that's expensive is the plane ticket. Once you get there you need around 10 euros/day

27. loanntt February 28, 2013 3:42 am

I like your post. I will visit your post.

28. Sylvia Jordan March 1, 2013 5:22 am

Great list! This is what I'm looking for. I've been hunting for top holiday destinations that are wallet-friendly. I'm a backpacker and, as you know, backpackers are awfully not financially endowed. I'm writing these destinations in my travel checklist.

29. Juicer Reviws March 4, 2013 5:01 am

Cool article! Also, surprisingly not mean-spirited considering it's by Jordan Burchette; that is, if it's by the same Burchette who wrote a piece picking on Comic-Con International attendees last year.

30. Reg -The Spain Scoop March 6, 2013 5:34 am

Have seen a lot of Western Europe, but am hungry to get to Eastern Europe….and all the better if it's less expensive!

31. loanntt March 7, 2013 4:10 am

Wow, The major tourist attraction

32. vimal March 7, 2013 11:20 pm

Nice Article. For More Holiday Packages visit http://www.sbltholidays.com.

33. seleenamini March 8, 2013 3:50 pm

Travel Tour of Colosseum Rome | Travelortour Says:

[...] it was used in mock sea battles. It is situated in Rome, an arch with a ground in its center. The length of the outer curve is almost 524 meters, the length of the long axis is [...]

34. Aldaren March 12, 2013 3:25 am

Without Greece I already completed to visit other six destination and my travel memory on those places are really pretty touchy which I can not forget never. Now I'm taking preparation for my next journey in Greece. I hope this journey will be cheaper with lot of enjoyment. Thanks

35. Richard Crest March 13, 2013 3:47 am

I would love to visit beautiful beaches in Mexico and probably try all water sports they have to offer.

36. Best Travel Packages March 16, 2013 1:46 am

Find a huge collections of blogs and really very informative ones !

37. iconia March 16, 2013 6:07 pm

This is exactly what i was looking for . thanks for sharing this great article. I am always searching for informative information like this. Nice and quite informative post. I really look forward to other post

38. Phuong Thuy March 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Vietnamese are country Friently anh fresh. Beside, many beautyful landscapes and famous as : Nha Trang Beach, Hạ Long Bay… Emjoin with us http://www.tourdulich24h.com/tour-du-lich-nha-tra

39. Snow Leopard Tours April 3, 2013 1:35 am

great list thanks for sharing i thought china would be there as well

40. du lịch hè April 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to present one thing back and help others such as you aided me.

41. Exams Informer April 16, 2013 1:29 pm

wow, such a nice information, it is very helpful for those who wants to travel in cheapest country. Thanks for sharing with us.

42. pradip April 17, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks for sharing top most travel destinations in the world. I really appreciate this post. It's very awesome post..

43. Cries Mark April 17, 2013 8:28 am

44. orchardbliss April 19, 2013 5:44 am

Good list you have here. I was wondering how cheap Greece is at the moment. I am going to Europe in a few months and as much as I wanted to go there, especially the islands, I didn't think it was cheap, even with its financial issues.

45. Injury Claims April 20, 2013 8:58 am

I've already completed to visit all of the above described places and my experience of visiting of those places are really quite pleasant but I'm still willing to visit there with my wife again. Thanks

46. Woah this weblog is magnificent i like studying your posts. Stay up the good work! You realize, lots of persons are searching round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

47. Print out an overhead shot of your home and plan your landscaping project.
    The tread pattern is minimal – not as deep as a pneumatic tire while
    requiring a greater inflation pressure. Linkwheel is a method through which many sites or websites are created using web 2.

48. Aptraveler May 3, 2013 9:02 am

Great list, it show the variety of places around the world that are really affordable to visit and explore. I would add Laos to your Vietnam Cambodia suggestion.

49. resorts hervey bay May 7, 2013 8:00 am

What a great list of cheap travel destinations here! Such a really interesting and wonderful places worth traveling for. Nice share!

50. Trekking in Nepal May 8, 2013 6:21 am

Nice List, I would like to add Nepal as cheapest destination for travel where you can enjoy the different taste of natural beauties..

51. Vinnie May 15, 2013 10:23 am

I think you should also have included paradises situated in South Asia like Bhutan and even Srilanka.

52. Kathryn May 16, 2013 7:16 am

together with|not to mention|plus|and also} or stadiums.
    The initially product ext by Bose, “Acoustimasse,
    ” was created which is right now termed because
    “Acoutstimasse 5″ speakers. Highly advised for substantial rooms, this speakers is made to compliment all of your needs along with stereo or together with your home movie theater
    receiver. Your beloved musical performances can take center stage because of this very common stereo speakers.
    It may deliver an entire range cinema sound and also effects.

Also, the strategy includes magnetically safeguarded speakers, this can put in place close proximities on your TV
    sets-without being worried having interferences by using
    TV level of quality. Another variation that’s the Bose dice speakers “Acoutstimasse 3” speakers, proves it is best easily fit into smaller spaces. It brings forth an awesome performance from producing realistic sounds. Further, this can be utilised for rear end channel audio speakers when associated with your are around sound phone. These magnetically protected speakers have only several inches increased (they should practically cease to exist into a person’s decor) yet nevertheless they give high faithfulness sound to get both audio and films.
    There can also be high-end formulated stereo
    products and solutions Bose acquired developed to be
    able to cater certain needs plus markets. And this can be the “Lifestyle
    Bose dice speakers, ” that are exclusively intended to expand towards a second bedroom.

This system stands apart that beats all others as the item sets the brand new standard within Bose multi-room extension.
    Characterized from tiny, four together with one-half in .
    , but highly effective speakers which inturn deliver a quantity
    of sound you’d probably expect from a greater speakers.So exactly what are you looking forward to, drop off within the nearest Bose units. Too, if you prefer great rate reductions and specials, Bose dice speakers can be found from online sale sites for example Amazon and also eBay. Make sure to measure the seller’s feed-back to likewise check his
    or her’s return policy as well as respective shipment costs—this is usually a way you can also know who any digital purchase includes a warrantee.Promo Of Harry Potter Additionally, the Half-blood EmporerPromoting a film that has already been soaring large before the release is simply not a significant duty. The line of Harry Potter classic tomes and motion pictures have normally achieved fantastic applause and even admiration. The flick with very good publicity for being released in 2010 is Harry Potter plus the Half Blood vessels Prince.The movie is founded on the 6th novel in the series and it’s directed by simply David Yates, while a Steve Kloves did
    the program. Every brand new series brings together with it a couple new personalities and excite.

The fans formerly learned the actual book through heart so are fretfully needing the coming for this new follow up.
    Promotions plus marketing is over the full swing at
    present as that filming of this picture happens to be done as well as being ready for your launch within July.
    Whenever the book is without a doubt released, all arrange stores
    are actually ornamented. The time of release is actually a
    big reception day many stores possibly award cost-free
    books to help specific enthusiasts. Nevertheless, whenever some sort of
    movie is concerning to discharge, the case changes most of the time.
    Nowadays each individual small quality is making what is the
    news headlines. All the crucial websites over the internet are marketing and advertising Harry Potter additionally, the Half Circulation Prince.
    Online ad is a most well-known not to mention useful method of marketing at
    present. There can be many websites that can be offering many hundreds of spoilers and also the
    trailers. The makers legitimately mark examples
    of the websites even though some are solely providing spoilers in addition to fake
    press.The entire cast list has reached the world wide web and this
    plot with the film is usually available now there.
    Latest images on the cast through the movie along with on-set
    nonetheless photographs sell like heated cakes available in the market these nights.
    They are downloaded via many websites at the same time.

The almost all consistent method to obtain news will be the official site.
    Do consistently visit of which.Posters everywhere are becoming
    published as well as cast is it being photographed heading to the tabloids.
    Scenes with the picture not to mention stills that happen to be
    in sought after demand are increasingly being printed upon posters for high leaping prices
    as of late. Harry has now made the top cover
    of your realm journal and all of the hot advertising magazines globally.

Another length of marketing that may be being helpful to promote
    Harry Potter and then the Half Our blood Prince stands
    out as the introduction in catchy facial lines. Before your release of this movie, the dialogues which have been in the most
    enjoyable scenes can be making headlines {curren

53. botakilmu May 22, 2013 10:28 am

Never heard about Tunisia. Still thinking what the interesting at Tunisia. Can you exposure more about Tunisia? Anyway, good job admin, thank you for this good info.

54. Vietnam tour May 26, 2013 1:47 am

It is a post good and useful for me. I like it.

55. environmentaltrekking May 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Welcome to Trekking in Nepal And Explore the world highest "MT EVEREST 8848m" Everest Trekking with NEPAL ENVIRONMENTAL TREKKING. http://www.envirionmentaltrekking.com

56. Päivi & Santeri June 9, 2013 11:47 am

You have taken Greece to your list? We were there a few years ago and it was one of the most expensive countries we have been. Because of the crisis there was shortage of goods in shops and prices very high. And credit cards were not accepted anywhere complicating travelling. Also renting was very expensive in Athens at the time. If you want an inexpensive travel destination in Europe, Sicily is excellent. We ended up living there over one year in Messina and Trapani.

If Greece will drop out of Euro, the shortages are likely to get out of hand and hike the prices. Same happened in Venezuela a few months ago. We went there just after devaluation expecting cheaper prices, but the black market currency exchange rates had changed accordingly so that everything was more expensive, about the same amount that the devaluation percentage was. For the locals devaluation did not change anything.

57. Kori June 9, 2013 1:23 pm

This is a great list! When I travel international, it's normally to eastern Europe as I have found that the prices are greatly cheaper than many other countries in Europe. My next plan is to go to India. Great Post!

58. Si @ Man vs World June 18, 2013 3:07 am

I love SE Asia for the affordability of travel. I think Vietnam is probably cheaper than Cambodia, though – and considerably cheaper than Thailand. I'm going to Mexico later this year as part of my honeymoon; it had better be a cheap destination because the wedding in New Zealand is going to be very expensive!

59. I will immediately grab your rss as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly allow me recognize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

60. wolf July 9, 2013 6:39 am

Wow thank you this is just what I have been looking for – great work :-) plz chek my blog.
    Estimulación temprana

61. Hotel Bangladesh July 20, 2013 6:16 am

62. URL shotgun review July 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi guy. Thank for your amazing post. ^^ Vietnam is a friendly and hospital country. Besides, many beautiful and famous landscapes such as Nha Trang, Halong Bay, Phong Nha – Ke Bang..

63. Johnson clark July 25, 2013 12:27 am

Beer Bongs, Beer Belts, Beer Funnels. Need the Ultimate Beer Bong for a party? Perfect for parties, get-togethers, tailgating, Nascar or even spring break.

64. jual apartemen July 29, 2013 1:25 am

The places are cheap for sure, but the real problem is the airfare. It’s getting much more expensive to fly these days and I feel I spend more on the ticket than on hotels and eating out. It’s depressing.

65. Ros August 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Nice post. I think Bolivia should be on the list. Unbelievably cheap.

• Nellie August 29, 2013 11:19 am

True! We had a beef steak for only €1 in Tupiza. Love how cheap it was!

66. Elsa September 11, 2013 1:07 am

Indonesia is cheap too.

67. Frank September 21, 2013 8:25 am

Nice post Nellie – never considered Tunisia as a cheap destination and I haven't been in 30 years. I've also heard really good things about Algeria…but I'm always a bit nervous about that part of the world.
    Frank (bbqboy)

68. Thai Women December 7, 2013 12:18 pm

Thank you for letting us know these places. Atleast we could have ideas where to be at our vacation. :)

69. hotel deals February 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Great list! Thailand is actually our next destination. I think countries in South East Asia generally are cheap. We've only been to Hong Kong, Philippines and Kuala Lumpur but I heard the other countries are also affordable and going to any of those places is really worth it.