Our Packing list for a Round-the-World Trip

Posted on July 26, 2012 by

As we gear up for another extended trip through Africa, North America and Australia, we thought it about time to compile a detailed list of items that we are packing for our journey. It is easy to get overwhelmed especially when packing for a varied RTW trip that will bring you through different climates and occasions – just keep in mind that packing for a trip is really based on itinerary and personal preference.

This time round, we’ll be going trekking and doing lots of outdoor activities, as well as attending formal conferences (which really makes packing rather challenging). Through the last decade of globetrotting, we’ve smartened up and learned a thing or two about packing right – and we’re sharing our lists here.

Nellie’s Packing List:

Backpack

I chose the Osprey Waypoint 65 mainly for the easy access, sturdy frame as well as its light weight (weighs 2.5kg when empty). It almost carries like a backcountry backpack, with excellent features to make it comfortable to carry even when packed to the brim. With a tough and sturdy frame, this backpack also functions like a suitcase and can be opened completely with just one zip, making it easy to pack and unpack on a daily basis. I love how my 15L day pack fits all my electronics – from laptop to charger, iPhone, underwater camera, notebook and magazines.

Clothes

• A pair of long quick-dry pants
  • A pair of jeans
  • A pair of khaki shorts
  • A dress for fancy parties
  • A beach dress
  • A hooded jersey
  • A suit jacket for formal events
  • A North Face parka for cold weather
  • A sarong for the beach
  • 2 long-sleeved tops
  • 3 singlets
  • 1 bikini swimsuit
  • Socks and underwear
  • Hiking boots – I always wear them on the plane
  • A pair of Teva Tirra sandals
  • A pair of Teva Churn Evo water shoes for the outdoors
  • 1 leather hat and 1 cap
  • A pair of sunglasses
  • A quick-dry travel towel

Electronics/Gadgets

• Toshiba Satellite R630 13.3″
  • Unlocked iPhone 4 – great to use with a local SIM cards for calls and 3G connectivity
  • Canon 450D with 18-55mm lens
  • 2 SD cards
  • SteriPEN water purifier- Great portable companion especially for camping
  • Universal adapter – This is a must for every traveler, specially if you are going to travel through several countries with different electrical plugs.
  • Dry sacks to compartmentalize items and act as waterproof packs
  • Padlock to lock up backpack in hostels
  • Headlamp
  • A notebook
  • A pair of binoculars
  • A Hummingbird inflatable pillow

Medicines

• Ibuprofen/Paracetamol
  • Diarrhea pills
  • Motion sickness pills
  • Antihistamine (Ebastine) for allergy

Toiletries (All in a small kit)

• Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Insect repellent
  • A razor
  • A pair of tweezers
  • Basic makeup items
  • Sanitary napkins and tampons
  • Contact lenses (I use monthlies) and a medium bottle of solution
  • Small bottles of shampoo and shower foam (can easily buy anywhere)

Alberto’s Packing List:

Backpack

I carry the  Osprey Meridian 75L, a wheeled convertible pack that transforms from a fully-equipped backpack to a wheeled trolley. The main pack volume is 55L while the daypack has a capacity of 20L. I chose this bag because I like both the convenience of a trolley and the versatility of a backpack and the Meridian combines the best of both worlds. I find the daypack to be perfect for storage of all my electronics and important documents so I can carry them with me on the plane. The external toiletries pocket is so simple yet convenient.

Clothes

• A pair of long quick-dry pants
  • A pair of jeans
  • Two short pants
  • 2 swimming shorts
  • 8 t-shirts (6 short 2 long sleeves) – I always end up overpacking these but it’s great to have some spare ones in case you spend several days without a laundry machine in sight.
  • 2 shirts (long and short sleeves)
  • 1 sweater
  • 1 jacket
  • 1 thin raincoat
  • Socks and underwear
  • A pair of hiking boots – which are quite annoying to carry around but when I do use them I’m thankful to have them.
  • A pair of slippers
  • Teva sandals
  • 1 baseball cap and 1 hat.
  • Travel towel – I hardly use it but it’s good to have it around.

Electronics/Gadgets

• Mackbook Air 13″
  • 1 external harddrive (1Tb) – For photo and video backups.
  • Unlocked iPhone 4S – I don’t know what I would do without it.
  • GoPro – Just got it and I can’t wait to give it a go on the road.
  • Canon EOS 60D with the following lenses: Sigma 8-16mm, Tamron 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f1.8.
  • 2 32Gb SD cards (one for the camera, one for the GoPro)
  • X-Mini capsule speaker – Perfect for setting up a quick party in a hotel room or train cabin. It also adds a big boost when watching movies on the laptop.
  • USB car adapter
  • Universal adapter
  • TRX Suspension System – Great for working out on the go. It turns any room or open space into a full-equipped gym in a matter of seconds.
  • Dry sacks - These inexpensive dry sacks are perfect for us. I don’t think they are completely waterproof but they serve a variety of purposes.
  • 1 roll of duct tape – You never know when it will become handy!
  • A small sewing kit – These can be obtained in most hotels but if you are going to be camping or in hostels most of the time it’s better to bring one just in case.
  • 1 padlock
  • A few pens – We always end up losing most of them so the more the better.
  • 1 set of earplugs
  • 1 headlamp
  • A pair of small scissors
  • 1 small electronic luggage scale – It helps to avoid surprises at the check-in counter.

Medicines

• Ibuprofen/Paracetamol
  • Diarrhea pills
  • First aid kit
  • Small thermometer
  • Antibiotics (Amoxicillin)
  • Antihistamine (Ebastine) for an occasional hay fever.

Toiletries

• Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • 1 soap bar
  • 1 deodorant stick
  • A few disposable razors and travel-sized shaving cream
  • 1 small bootle of Shampoo
  • Nail clipper

What do you think? Are we missing something important? Are we lugging too much crap with us? Let us know on the comment section below!

Comments

comments

About Alberto Molero

Alberto Molero is the co-founder, photographer and designer of WildJunket. With an infectious sense of adventure, he’s fed his adrenaline cravings with scuba-diving trips in Borneo, wildlife jaunts on the Galapagos Islands and hiking expeditions to Iceland and Australia. He constantly dreams of living on the beach and going surfing all day.

30 Responses to “Our Packing list for a Round-the-World Trip”

1. Diana July 26, 2012 10:56 pm #

How about a book/Kindle? Seriously, you guys really have it covered! (Love the inclusion of duct tape.)

2. Taylor July 27, 2012 2:12 am #

Wow great list and advice. Makes me think twice when I book a two week vacation to the states. I try to pack enough to have a weeks worth of clothes. Well i hope you guys have an amazing trip!

3. boomeresq July 27, 2012 3:12 am #

Alberto: How much did your backpack/wheeled trolley weigh empty? (Your link came up with "not found"). Do you think a reasonably fit 50-something 63 inch woman could handle it as a backpack? I am looking for something like what you describe that I can independently put in an overhead luggage compartment. I'd love the flexibility of being able to carry it as a back pack for those times when the rolling surface is inhospitable.

• Alberto Molero July 27, 2012 11:30 pm #

Hey there!

It looks like Osprey made some updates to the meridian series. The bag is 3.75Kg when empty, it's not very heavy but I can see a small woman having some difficulties lugging it when fully loaded, specially since you would need to attach the daypack to it. They have a 60L version too that you might find easier to carry. You can check all specs here:

Thanks for stopping by!

4. ErIn July 27, 2012 12:20 pm #

Nellie – what shoes do you wear with your fancy dress and work outfits? Cheers, Erin

5. Susan August 17, 2012 11:37 am #

Aw, man! I thought I was a light packer! My bag is smaller, but I somehow stuff in many more clothes…

6. sushan October 25, 2012 12:22 am #

Thanks for sharing so significative article with us. Wonder Know is a comprehensive website that provides all kinds of articles. Just come and have fun!

7. Home Purifiers November 7, 2012 1:34 pm #

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you ever been blogging for?
    you made running a blog glance easy. The overall glance of your site is excellent,
    let alone the content material!

8. Nicky November 15, 2012 12:47 pm #

Does Alberto really feel good about toting $6000 worth of electronic equipment everywhere he goes? Three camera lenses seems a little excessive. Man, with that pricey inventory I'd be paranoid about my stuff at all times.

9. Cooklle November 16, 2012 8:59 pm #

10. Brooke November 16, 2012 9:03 pm #

It is so interesting. I want to know some other information about this site. So please give me this news quickly. I always will be aware of you.

11. Judy November 16, 2012 9:03 pm #

with our reliable service to secure transaction Buy Guild Wars 2 CD Key and fast delivery.Wotlk Key as well as WoW

12. wedding attire November 19, 2012 4:26 am #

“He pulls me around and kisses me. "You're Mac," he says. "And I'm Jericho. And nothing else matters. Never will. You exist in a place that is beyond all rules for me. Do you understand that?"

13. The College Tourist December 4, 2012 9:22 pm #

Great packing list! (some good tips for College Students on study abroad ), Any room for party heels to go with that fancy dress? , (SPF tinted makeup also). Look forward to following the journey. The College Tourist Team.

14. Windy December 6, 2012 1:09 am #

Thanks for your sharing,I will pay more attentions to your blog. Looking forward to your better and better. Do you like fashion? You can take a look at the site http://www.fashionalline.com that provides you lastest fashion news, or you can get news and views from the bag experts at http://www.handdbag.com

15. Agnes December 6, 2012 1:09 am #

I have to say I am very impressed with the way you efficiently website and your posts are so informative. Thanks dude.

16. wedding dress December 13, 2012 12:27 am #

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information.

17. search lyrics December 13, 2012 12:28 am #

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.

18. DeanAshby December 26, 2012 3:57 am #

Moving to different countries in short periods of time, one needs to just bring the essentials, and not over pack. Being a light packer is very important if you live a very mobile life – especially if you do it for a living. Thank you, Alberto, for sharing this with us. I could easily follow your lead, and probably modify a bit here and there. Thanks!

19. relet January 29, 2013 12:05 pm #

Wow, 65L is heavy. I use a 32L bag both for traveling and hiking. In somewhat different configurations for hiking – see http://sf0.org/relet/BYOBOB/ – but on my last Africa trip it contained the following. The only things I usually attach on the outside is the outer jacket.

A pair of slack two-layer zip-off pants (warm or cold, mosquito proof, sun proof. Slack pants with lots of air circulation don't get warm even in direct sunlight.)
    'Formal' denims.
    Short running / swimming tights
    Two shirts, long sleeve.
    A hard shell jacket (rain/wind proof).
    A microfleece (warmth)
    Feelmax "barefoot" shoes (instead of sandals, for hiking, hot roads, cold weather, swimming, rafting, and they pack small). If your pack weighs six to eight kg, you don't need hiking boots for hiking / trekking.
    Casual/formal shoes. (This is not my minimal packing, mind you)
    Socks and socklets, underwear and t-shirts rolled up in whatever space remains.
    Long thermal underwear (for the mountains, and when getting back home where it's -20 C.)
    Cap.
    Xaphoon.

Electronics:
    16Ah Power Bank (charge once a week to power all gadgets, includes all connectors, USB or laptop)
    HTC smartphone. (Web + local telephony, games and kindle app for entertainment)
    Ricoh GR Digital III camera. (Compact, high quality photos, doesn't even look expensive)
    Contour video camera (for action shots. I went paragliding and rafting and such.)
    Universal adapter.

Survival:
    Tarp. (shade or rain shelter, two persons)
    Mosquito net (dense, impregnated and hole-free) with suspension ring
    First aid + repairs (bandages, duct tape, toilet paper, condoms, tampons, floss, needles, scissors, antiseptic wipes, some few meds), in a dry sack.
    Head light.
    Toothbrush, toothpaste.
    Permetrin (insect repellent for clothes, much more important than for the few spots of skin that you can't cover.)
    Sun factor 50 (SF30 can be bought local almost anywhere you go and you use it up more quickly.)
    Shampoo, deodorant, razors, plastic toothpick(s).
    Washing powder

A 32L backpack fits between your legs in a crowded minibus, and can be taken as carry-on in the airplane – both of these reduce the risk of theft immensely.

• Nellie January 30, 2013 4:29 am #

Wow that\’s impressive! There I was thinking I was a light packer.

Well, the pack\’s for a few months of traveling in various corners of the world, while attending conferences – so that means I need clothes for different seasons as well as for more formal occasions. That said, I\’m seriously thinking of cutting down what I bring, having been inspired by you!

I love how you carry a tarp and hiking sticks. Your packraft looks like fun too! (saw it on the link). We don\’t do that much camping (and if we do, it\’s usually with companies who provide those), but that sounds like a great way to sleep out in the wild.

20. It is in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

21. customized drive March 25, 2013 6:03 am #

Alberto Molero, actually, I am a lover of world trip. But I had no a good idea on packing list. After reading out your blog I think that the electronics/gadgets are the best thing of the list. USB car adapter is really much vital for world trip.

22. sewe April 22, 2013 12:03 am #

I really like this kind of site.The site’s theme is related to the life theme, life-related topics, the content of health topics, Web surfers who like the theme, and i will create a a web site for cloths, nice article man, i really nedd it check my web design company in kerala

23. bill hopper April 24, 2013 6:59 pm #

I always take cipro with for antibiotics it covers a lot more bugs

Ciprofloxacin and amoxicillin are different kinds of antibiotic pharmaceuticals primarily used to treat bacterial infections. Amoxicillin is classified as a moderate-spectrum antibiotic and is widely prescribed for the treatment of pneumonia, strep throat and certain sexually transmitted diseases. Ciprofloxacin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that can be effective against a wider range of bacterial types. Both drugs can have serious side effects, so it is important for patients to follow their doctor’s instructions and carefully read any information included with their prescription.

Just my 2 cents

Safe travels

Greg

24. brooke May 28, 2013 4:16 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing, will definitely use this as a reference for my own trip!

25. debopambanerjee May 29, 2013 2:22 am #

Incredible… Very useful…. From now onward I do not need to make my own list… I am just saving this one…. I am also fond of books… So some paperbacks (light weight) and magazines are must for me….

1. Pourquoi tu ne devrais jamais faire ta valise la veille de ton départ - Eille la cheap! - November 19, 2012

[...] Pour un voyage autour du monde en sac à dos (en anglais) [...]