Photoblog: Things that Make Myanmar Special

Posted on April 30, 2012 by

Before coming to Myanmar, I had no clue what to expect – many friends have told us how amazing the country is, but only upon stepping foot on its holy soil, visiting its thousands of pagodas, navigating its chaotic streets, and talking to the Burmese, did I understand how captivating this country is. From the shimmering Shwedagon Paya in Yangon to the stupa-studded landscapes of Bagan and the poetic water world of Inle Lake, Myanmar is a country so pristine, raw and untouched, it’s hard to believe that a country like that exists in today’s world.

The people too captured our hearts deeply: I lost count of the number of people who came up to us and said, “Thank you for coming to Myanmar. Welcome.” Whether it was the monk who chatted with me for hours on the train, or the taxi-driver who told us stories about Myanmar, they were the ones who made this place so special. Perhaps it’s because of years of isolation from the outside world (with the strict military regime and the ban of tourism), perhaps it’s the deep-rooted Burmese culture, Myanmar remains pure and untainted – for now. Here are some of Alberto’s best shots from around Myanmar, we hope the photos can bring you on the journey with us and hope they give you an idea of what we’re feeling.

Shwedagon Paya by night

The impressive Shwedagon Paya glowing in gold by night

Bagan

The thousands of stupas that dot the landscapes of Bagan

Ayeryawaddy River in Bagan

The river banks of the Ayeryawaddy in Bagan

Buddhist town of Sagainn

The stupa-studded hills of Sagainn, a quiet town near Mandalay where Burmese Buddhists come to meditate

Monks waving at Inle Lake

Warm greetings from a boatful of monks in Inle Lake

Fishermen on Inle Lake

A fisherman looks for the catch of the day in Inle Lake

A boy wearing Thanaka on his face

A young boy gives me a nod of approval as I snap this shot from the train. He’s seen wearing chalk white Thanaka powder on his face, a commonly used beauty cream and sunscreen in Myanmar.

Double Buddha figures in a pagoda

Double Buddha statues in the biggest stupa in Bagan

Children playing in the lake

Playful children frolick in the waters of Inle Lake

Sunset in Bagan

A vermillion sunset against the mountains surrounding Inle Lake

Comments

comments

13 Responses to “Photoblog: Things that Make Myanmar Special”

1. @1step2theleft May 1, 2012 1:23 am

Wonderful shots! Myanmar looks like an amazing destination and since I'll travel to Indonesia in late June I'd love to visit it but am still trying to figure out how bad the rainy season can be.
    I you happen to have any tips or recommendations so that i can decide if it's worth visiting or if the rain is likely to be too strong to go around, it would be awesome :-)

• Nellie May 3, 2012 1:55 pm

hey Simon! Good to see you here. Rainy season is actually the best time to visit Myanmar, as what I’ve heard from many of the taxi-drivers we met along the way. It was extremely hot when we went – almost unbearable at times, especially in Bagan, so perhaps it’s good to visit during rainy season. By the way I got it wrong – peak period is in December, so July is still low season in Myanmar. Hope you get to visit soon – highly recommend it!

2. John May 1, 2012 8:08 am

Wow if it weren't for the Stupas, the second picture could be from Arizona!

3. apol May 1, 2012 1:53 pm

gorgeous photos! I love the sunset!

4. Encarnacion May 2, 2012 3:35 pm

Unas fotos muy bonnitas, creo que ponen de manifiesto la gran riqueza turística de ese pais.

5. Ruth (Tanama Tales) May 3, 2012 1:36 am

Simply amazing!!! I once crossed to Myanmar from Thailand and everything was so different. Would love to explore more of this country.

• Nellie May 3, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks Ruth! We actually wanted to cross to Myanmar from Thailand, but a pity it\’s not allowed to explore beyond the border town, so we had to fly from Bangkok. Hope you had the chance to explore it next time – absolutely amazing country.

6. mamiraua May 4, 2012 3:56 am

What fantastic photos!

7. Sportytravelbloke March 10, 2013 10:11 am

Nice array of pics. Dreading the day when Myanmar joins the banana pancake trail.

8. Rahul k August 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Great Post Nellie….

I am now truly inspired to go to Myanmar …

I like your style of presenting which is descriptives juxtaposed with your travel details…

Rahul

• Nellie August 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Thank you Rahul! Myanmar is definitely a special place, I love writing about places that mean something to me. ;)

9. Juan -Myanmar Travel July 2, 2014 2:32 pm

This is a great post Nellie! You capture the beauty of Myanmar with this shots! Congratulations!!! :)

10. Nellie May 8, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks Randy! Yes Bagan is stunning, even more so than the famous Angkor Wat. We spent quite a few days biking from one pagoda to the next – it was surreal especially at sunset.