Swimming with Whale Sharks in Cebu, Philippines

Posted on March 29, 2012 by

I n the far distance came a spray of water and the faint outline of an enormous animal resembling a whale. We watched in awe as it glided gently by the bow of a small fishermen boat, following its circular motion.

There was no time to waste: we quickly hopped onto our bagka boat - mask, fins and underwater camera in hand. The animal was just about 500m away from shore, our boatman paddled hard and fast and within minutes, we were approaching the animal. As we inched closer, the gentle giant revealed itself – its mouth poking above the water surface, feeding on small shrimps like a vacuum, its tiny eyes curiously watching us as we stared in amazement.

This was a whale shark, one of the biggest yet gentlest animals in the marine world.

Getting Intimate with the Gentle Giant

“ Go, go!” Our boatman instructed. Alberto and I gently slid off the boat and into the water – there it was: all of its flat, wide head, massive grey and white dotted body, and shark-like dorsal fins. In the clear glassy water, I could see its red gills flapping, and its dorsal fin zigzagging through the water.  While we were asked to stay at least 5m away from the animal, there was no control  as to how close the whale shark could get to us. Gliding by us, the behemoth creature whipped its tail in a forceful motion, missing me by mere inches. My heart raced and I let out a loud gasp, almost choking as the seawater came gushing into my mouth. I went up to the water surface for some air – so did Alberto, and both of us squealed and cheered like kids, exploding with excitement.

The whale shark might be a massive animal – averaging around 9.7m in length – but it definitely fits the description of a gentle giant. As filter feeders they feed primarily on plankton (microscopic plants and animal) and they do not attack humans or other marine animals unless provoked. They are scientifically classified as sharks, but they’re far from most people’s perception of a shark. While I’ve swum with great white sharks before, this experience was starkly different: with the fear factor out of the way, it was surreal, intimate and extremely moving.

Tail of whale shark

Sustainable Tourism and Wildlife Protection

I’d long heard about the possibility of swimming with whale sharks in the Philippines and this was one of the reasons why we were here on Cebu island. Just two weeks ago, we had chased the whale shark trail to Donsol in the Sorsogon province (thanks to the Department of Tourism Philippines), expecting to catch a good glimpse of the animal – Donsol was after all put on the map by the whale sharks that inhabit its water. After almost three hours out at sea, we finally saw the white spots of a giant whale shark flash by beneath our feet – while it was just a very quick glimpse, the thrill of seeing the elusive animal after hours of longing made the experience all the more rare and genuine.

Here in Oslob, off the southern coast of Cebu, whale sharks are a common sight as they’re regularly fed by local fishermen. Since whale shark tours started here in October 2011, it has been a controversial subject in the Philippines. I had qualms about coming here to see the whale sharks at first: is this ethical? Should we be feeding wild animals? Most of all, is this responsible tourism?

According to local friend Andrew Agunod, whale sharks here have been fed by local fishermen for decades. Andrew used to spend his summer vacations in the area as a child. He would hang out by the beach, talk to fishermen and observe them going about their business.  “Besides the interesting sea creatures they have in their nets and baskets, what used to interest me were their stories about the giant tuki (whale shark in Cebuano),” Andrew shared with nostalgia.

“These giant fish, they said, always followed their boats when they went fishing. The fisherfolks used uyap (small shrimps) as bait for fishing, which the tukis love. These creatures had always been considered pests, and the fishermen even developed tactics to bring them far from their fishing ground by feeding and leading them away – and the sharks always followed. I could see that the fishermen had somehow developed a close bond with the whale sharks. Last November, I saw videos of these gentle giants becoming an attraction. It didn’t come to me as a surprise, for I knew how close a relationship they had with these fishermen.”

Astounding as it is, Andrew shares my concern on the sustainability of whale shark interactions in the area. To ensure a livelihood for the local community and the welfare of wildlife, this has to be regulated by the government to avoid abuse and negative impact to these gentle creatures. Until then, hopefully the whale sharks are in the safe hands of their friends, the local fishermen.

Here’s a video shot underwater in Oslob, Cebu.

Comments

comments

20 Responses to “Swimming with Whale Sharks in Cebu, Philippines”

1. John of Travel Rinse Repeat March 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Swimming with whale sharks has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember, yet I still haven’t checked it off! It’s about time I get around to it…

2. Christy March 30, 2012 8:25 am

So cool! I'm planning on doing this in Mexico come July. I tried last year and it didn't work out. So I've been waiting long enough to do it!!! Great post. Made me super excited.

3. Meaghan March 30, 2012 9:43 am

This is so exciting! You must have had a blast. I've been dreaming of swimming with whale sharks for nearly ten years, I'll get there one day…..

4. Emily in Chile March 30, 2012 10:13 am

What an amazing experience!

5. Playa De Carmen Tour April 2, 2012 3:47 am

Great, no, AMAZING pictures of whale sharks!! When we went with on a trip to swim with them last year, we got up close and personal, just like these pictures depict.

6. Country Skipper April 3, 2012 6:02 am

Wooooooow! That's amazing! It's on my "wishlist" of travel experiences. Hope one day I'll see one of these in the wild somewhere.

7. @onClickDeals April 4, 2012 1:59 pm

Glad you got to swim with the sharks, and that tail whip… I'm jealous. I went to Utila with the hopes of swimming with some whale sharks, but I skipped out on the afternoon dive, which is when they found some.

8. Joyce April 23, 2012 10:35 pm

What a superb experience! Cebu has a lot of must see places and creatures!

• Nellie April 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes it was definitely one of the best wildlife experiences we\’ve had. I\’d definitely go back one day for it!

9. Gina June 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Wow, what an incredible experience! Very neat to hear of the special relationship the fishermen have with these mammals, too.

10. ResortInCebu August 5, 2012 6:57 pm

This is so breathtaking! You essentially have had a smashing experience. I have always been daydreaming of swimming with this amazing whale sharks. Maybe one day.

11. Oslob Whale Shark October 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Thank you for blogging your experience, hope you can visit us again.

12. David Jr January 11, 2013 12:40 pm

So nice la, I almost did this in Oslob but my trip got canceled. Heya, when you coming back to this part of the world?

13. Alex Conway April 30, 2013 12:59 am

As much as I like to stay in a nice, comfortable hotel room wherever I vacation, the sights and sounds matter just as much. If the sights involve getting really close to something that big and gentle, then I'd count it as a perfect getaway.

14. gemlopez03 May 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Thank you for this post. But, you do want to have a perfect getaway? Choose Philippines. Choose Puerto Galera. Loving whalesharks? Do you want to have fun with them and to have an unforgettable experience in our country? Cocktail Divers is one! They are the best located at Sabang, Puerto Galera, Mindoro. Have fun snorkeling with whalesharks. With this, you can see the true beauty of nature.

15. Kristy of Visa USA June 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Cebu is the queen city of the South in the Philippines because it is like Manila. You can enjoy shopping and partying in the Metro but can also relaxed in the beaches and relaxing waves of the ocean.

1. 3 Months of Travel in Photos | Wild Junket - April 12, 2012

[...] capital of Manila, we headed to the provinces: first trekking the volcanoes of Legazpi, swimming with whale sharks in Donsol and Oslob, then scuba-diving in Dumaguete and relaxing on the private island of Sumilon. While working hard [...]

2. The Reality of Being A Digital Nomad | Wild Junket - June 20, 2012

[...] swam with whale sharks in the Philippines, hiked through beautiful rice terraces in Sapa, celebrated Songkran in Bangkok, biked through the [...]

3. Cast Away on the Private Island of Sumilon, Philippines - Wild Junket - July 24, 2012

[...] a few days in Crusoe-esque splendor – and on Sumilon Island we did just that. Located 10 km from Cebu island, it might be just a hop away from civilization but it sure felt like a world apart. Landing on the [...]

4. Top Adventurous Activities in Asia | The Looptail, The Travel Blog Powered By G Adventures - October 22, 2012

[...] Swimming with whale sharks was an experience unlike no other: the behemoth creature glided just inches away from me, oblivious to my presence as I stared wide-eyed, indulging in this intimate encounter. It was surreal, intimate and extremely moving.  This was definitely one of the best experiences of my life, and definitely my favorite memory from the Philippines. [...]