Cliffs, Peaks and Meadows: Asturias in Photos

Posted on April 19, 2011 by

Over the past week, Asturias surprised me with striking landscapes and outstanding gastronomy. Within this small principality in Northern Spain, we explored the mountain range of  Picos de Europa, watched the scenic landscapes from the craggy San Lorenzo Cape, tried pouring cider the traditional Asturian way (from 2m high!) and wandered through the cosmopolitan city of Oviedo.

Our trip brought us from urban boulevards to the sprawling countryside, UNESCO World Heritage sites to tiny charming fishing villages, and sandy beaches to towering mountains. I’d long heard about the unique fare and landscapes of Asturias but never imagined the extend to which it would capture me.  Thanks to the Asturias Tourism Board and Turismo.as, our group of travel bloggers got a good taste of the region and left with plenty of stories to tell. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing mine here. Meanwhile, here are some highlights of our journey through Asturias, as seen through pictures.

Picos de Europa, highest peaks in Northern Spain

Picos de Europa, the highest peaks of Northern Spain

Covadonga Lake, Picos de Europa, Asturias

Covadonga Lake in the midst of the Picos de Europa National Park

Cudillero fishing village in Asturias

The colorful fishing village of Cudillero

market in Oviedo, Asturias

Outdoor market in Oviedo, capital of Asturias

Marine at Gijon, Asturias

The marine at the city of Gijon

fishing village Cudillero Asturias

Fishing boats float on the calm water surface at the port of Cudillero

Cudillero coastline

Raging waves at the fishing village of Cudillero

Playa Toro, Llanes

Rocky beach, Playa Toro, in Llanes

Cliffs of Llanes

Cliffs along the coastline of Llanes

Llanes, Asturias

Green hills, clear waters and terracotta-roofed houses: Llanes at my feet.

This experience was made possible by Asturias Tourism Board and Turismo.as, but all opinions are my own. Read more about my travels in Asturias here or follow me on Twitter with the #Turismoas hashtag.

Comments

comments

11 Responses to “Cliffs, Peaks and Meadows: Asturias in Photos”

1. Laurel April 19, 2011 3:51 pm #

Beautiful photos! I had never really thought of going to Northern Spain, but it looks like one more place to add to my list of places I wish to visit in Spain.

2. neverendingfootsteps April 19, 2011 5:08 pm #

Wow, great photos, it looks like a wonderful place. The landscape reminds me a lot of Mallorca.

• Nellie April 26, 2011 11:52 pm #

I know what you mean – especially the craggy coastline, it reminds me of the Cape Formentera in Mallorca. :)

3. Debbie Beardsley April 20, 2011 2:10 am #

Loved your pictures! I am looking forward to reading about your adventure and seeing more of these pictures. Looks like I have added another must see to my list!

4. Noa April 20, 2011 5:16 am #

oh! Thank you for all these things about my Asturias. If you have any doubt about Asturias writte me to my e-mail ([email protected]) and I will be more than happy to recommend you about it. than you again!

5. Sarah Wu April 22, 2011 10:08 am #

Nice photos! Love how the rocks form by the rocky beach. Interesting shape

6. cristina alvarez April 25, 2011 5:45 pm #

Preciosas fotos, Asturias es un lugar para los amantes de paisajes sorprendentes al borde el mar.

7. Juan Otero April 27, 2011 7:20 pm #

Nellie, ha sido un placer verte en Asturias, y espero coincidir pronto contigo
    Un fuerte abrazo
    Juan

8. Nellie April 26, 2011 11:51 pm #

They are real, surprisingly. I saw them everywhere in Northern Spain, but still havent been able to find out their name.

1. Pictures of peaks - July 29, 2011

[...] Cliffs, Peaks and Meadows: Asturias in Photos | Wild Junket Apr 19, 2011 … Over the past week, Asturias surprised me with striking landscapes and outstanding gastronomy. [...]

2. Zipping through Asturias on the Transcantabrico Train - Wild Junket - January 22, 2013

[...] the night away in the disco carriage and spending a night in our luxury suite, waking up to see the landscapes of Asturias whizz [...]