My Travel Plans for Spring-Summer 2011

Posted on April 13, 2011 by

The last few months have been a quiet one for me – as traveling took a backseat while I focused on writing. I started the year in Southeast Asia, before heading back to our base in Spain and hopping off on short trips around Europe. In the past month or so, I’d visited Portugal, Italy and Manchester but nowhere far-flung or adventurous.

The second half of the year promises to be packed with more action – here’s a look at where I’ll be over the next few weeks. I’ll be hanging around a bit more in Spain before jumping off to more exotic locales. If you’re in the neighborhood and interested in meeting up, give me a quick shout out!

Icebergs in Alaska - hoping to see these in the Arctic!

13 April – 24 April: Asturias, Bilbao and San Sebastian – Spain

I’m setting off for Oviedo, Asturias today and I will be exploring the area as a guest of Asturias Tourism Board and turismo.as. I will be blogging about here after the trip, but you can follow the live video streaming on Turismo.as or follow our blogtrip site. From Asturias, I’ll be going on a road trip with friends to the most northern corners of Spain to explore more of the country.

3 May – 10 May: Costa Brava, Spain

As a guest of Costa Brava Tourism, I’ll be visiting the area around Girona – with many exciting activities on the itinerary including paragliding and a treehouse eco-lodge stay.

27 May – 5 June: Jordan Press Trip

I’m thrilled to be revisiting one of my favorite countries in the world, this time on a press trip thanks to the Jordan Tourism Board.

3 July – 31 July: Mauritius and Madagascar

Alberto and I are spending a whole month exploring the islands of Mauritius and Madagascar on our honeymoon! (Didn’t I tell you we’re getting married on 1st July?) I’m looking forward to both wildlife-watching in Madagascar and lounging by the turquoise beaches of Mauritius.

7 August – 15 August: Arctic Expedition

As one of Gap Adventure’s Wanderers in Residence, I’ll be going on my first trip with Gap onboard their Arctic expedition cruise. The Realm of Polar Bears trip promises to be an epic journey – cruising through ice-covered fjords, spotting whales and polar bears and encountering glaciers.

17 September – 26 September: Iceland

It’ll be a whirlwind trip through the country as we explore its fjords, volcanoes and hot springs with our best friend from Iceland. Any suggestion or tip welcomed as always!

Comments

comments

17 Responses to “My Travel Plans for Spring-Summer 2011”

1. Joshywashington April 13, 2011 3:16 pm

This is such a diverse itinerary, I am totally jealous! Keep it up ninja!

2. Monia April 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Wow this all sounds so amazing! Looks like its going to be a great year for travel. And congratulations on getting married! Sounds like a beautiful honeymoon you have planned.

• Nellie April 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Monia, really appreciate that!

3. yvonne April 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Wow I am soo jealous! I am still hoping we could catch up in Spain this coming August :)

• Nellie April 19, 2011 4:28 am

hey Yvonne, definitely! Let me know which dates you\’ll be here and we\’ll try to meet up. Hopefully it won\’t clash with my Arctic trip. :)

4. Tracy Burns April 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Another one here that is jealous. Wow I can't believe you are going on a cruise to the Arctic. Hope you stocked up on cheap winter clothes while you were in Asia. Speaking of Asia, such a shame we missed you there! We're hoping to be in Europe in November (tickets booked, just have to save!) – would love to do lunch one day if our paths cross this time.

• Nellie April 19, 2011 3:38 am

hey Tracy, definitely let me know if you're in the neighbourhood, would love to meet over lunch or coffee. It was a pity we missed you in Asia, but I'm sure our paths will cross rather soon!

5. Skott and Shawna April 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Hey Nellie, your peeps above are right, this does look like a ridiculous itinerary!! We will actually be leaving for Spain to start our RTW trip as well, beginning of July…..while there, did you manage to do the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage? I think that is going to be our first "activity". The other thing that we are also doing is…going to Madagascar for our honeymoon – how awesome!! We hope to be doing that in November, so obviously our paths won't cross, but I thought it was cool…there are very few people who make it out there, never mind heading there for a honeymoon!

Last question – what's the deal with all the press trips and being a part of GAP Adventures WIR? How do we play?

Safe travels!!

• Nellie April 19, 2011 3:43 am

hey guys, good to hear about your RTW trip, sounds exciting! I still haven't managed to do the Camino de Santiago but I would really like to do it someday! Which route are you guys doing? There are several routes, each starting from a different location. So you're going to Madagascar for your honeymoon too! Such a coincidence. I'll be sure to write about it here, so if you need any tips or info, feel free to check back. :)

Regarding press trips and being part of Gap Adventures WIR, I've been really lucky to have been picked by these tourism boards and tour operators to be their ambassadors. Travel writing and blogging has really brought me to a whole new world.

6. Debbie Beardsley April 14, 2011 1:11 am

This schedule sounds very interesting and diverse. All of the destinations you will be visiting sound amazing. I wish you both well with your upcoming nuptials!

7. Gray April 14, 2011 7:03 pm

I didn't know you were getting married. Congratulations, Nellie! You've got some great travels planned.

• Nellie April 19, 2011 3:44 am

Thanks girl, appreciate it!

8. Rebecca April 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Sooo exciting! Have a great time – on ALL the trips!

9. Sonya April 17, 2011 3:43 am

Your spring-summer sounds amazing, Nellie! Have a wonderful time!

10. Traveling Ted April 19, 2011 3:37 am

Look forward to the posts about the Arctic trip. That is going to be amazing.

• Nellie April 19, 2011 4:21 am

I am really looking forward to it – will definitely report back here, look out for it! :)

11. de voc April 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Definitely look into going some place for Easter. Maybe Iceland for whale watching or Amsterdam to visit the Amsterdam Dungeons

Happy Easter