The Best Cities to Party in Europe

Posted on April 3, 2011 by

Dancing shoes? Check. Party hat? Check. Time to hit the city and paint the town red. For many young travelers, a vivid nightlife can just be as important as monuments, beaches or attractions. You can often soak up the undercurrent of a city through its nightlife. This week’s post brings us around Europe to suss out the best places to let your hair back and party till dawn.

Berlin

As the modern arts metropolis of Germany, Berlin is exploding with a revolutionary arts scene, futuristic architecture and most importantly, palpitating nightlife. In this cosmopolitan hub, nightlife is constantly evolving, perfect for those looking for refreshing spins. The electronic music scene in the city is huge, with music events taking place every other weekend. One of the most famous clubs at the moment is Berghain/Panorama Bar (Am Wriezener Bahnhof).

in a club in Berlin, Germany

Amsterdam

Lauded as Europe’s party HQ, Amsterdam is the capital of hedonistic pleasures. The Dutch city is best known for its coffee shops, where items on the menus range from hash brownie to mushroom and marijuana joints. The red light district, located in one of the most prominent parts of the city, provides an eye-opening experience for the uninitiated. Amsterdam is one of my favorite European cities, not just for the night life but also for the variety of museums and attractions. Besides, flights to Amsterdam are easily available from most parts of Europe and US. As far as clubs go, I’d highly recommend is Bitterzoet (Spuistraat 2).

P1000703

Barcelona

The Capital of Cool is Spain’s hippest party zone, home to the country’s trendiest clubs, beach bars and champagne lounges. As with everywhere else in Spain, the action starts late in Barcelona; expect clubs to open their doors only around midnight and the parties to end at dawn. For those who want to avoid the tourist crowd and overpriced drinks, steer clear to the swanky beach clubs. If you’re looking for some indie alternative music,  I’d recommend Marula Café in the Barrio Gotico (Escudellers 49).

Prague

Next to Germany, the Czech Republic is touted as one of the most famous beer capitals of the world. With prices lower than most of the other Western European cities on the list, Prague is definitely one of my personal favorites. The city is dotted with traditional Czech-style taverns and beer halls. Besides the national brand of beer, Pilsner, they often serve big portions of pork knuckles, roasted duck leg and a plethora of cured meat.

Clock tower in Prague Town Square

Munich

As a major tourist destination in Germany, Munich has plenty to offer besides attractive architecture, traditional fare and characteristic culture. As a university city, Munich boasts of a night life that’s excellent all year around, and not just during the Oktoberfest. My recommendations: Ed Moses (Prinzregentenstraße 2) and Crux (Ledererstraße 3). To rub shoulders with celebrities, check out the snazzy club, P1 (Prinzregentenstraße 1).

Fireworks on NYE in Munich

Budapest

In recent years, Budapest has acquired quite a reputation for its nightlife. Famous for its ancient baths and spas, Budapest has blended their infamous nightlife with spas to come up with a brand new concept:  “sparties”. At the Ruda Spa (Dobrentei ter 9), one of the most beautiful thermal baths in Budapest, groove to the beats of the city’s best DJs and amazing acoustics and light effects. Recover the night at one of the many Budapest apartments on offer.

Comments

comments

18 Responses to “The Best Cities to Party in Europe”

1. joolsstone April 3, 2011 9:57 pm

Ah, but you forgot Edinburgh, hmm, prob not actually! lol

2. dragojac April 4, 2011 7:33 pm

And Manchester…and hey, what's this with the young travellers? The baby boomers still like to party as well:)

3. Ted Nelson April 5, 2011 10:09 pm

I have been to four out of the six cities, so thank you for the tips on Budapest and Berlin. I now have two more cities on my list.

4. Nomadic matt April 6, 2011 1:12 pm

You missed a few: Ios, Lagos, Interlaken, Krakow! They are also great cities to party in!

5. Serena April 6, 2011 4:35 pm

the best nightlife ever, for me? athens! crazy people and crazy clubs :D

• kav December 9, 2011 1:28 pm

can u pls tell me where to party in athens…and when is the right time to be there (month).
      thanks a bunch.

6. hugo bande May 27, 2011 3:41 am

i ve been living in Barcelona and definitely agree.

7. basque guy July 16, 2012 10:38 am

barcelona by far go there!!!!

8. andrea October 17, 2012 1:44 am

Good information for the people those who enjoys night life..

9. free beats October 28, 2012 10:39 pm

hey there and thanks in your information ? I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however experience several technical issues the usage of this site, since I skilled to reload the web site many instances previous to I may just get it to load properly. I were thinking about in case your hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, however sluggish loading circumstances occasions will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality ranking if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could glance out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

10. Chris May 7, 2013 3:57 pm

Amsterdam or Benidorm…or Ibiza if you're very young

• viajeronomada May 15, 2013 5:42 am

Ibiza has amazing clubs but Benidorm sucks…

11. Karol Wiśniewski May 15, 2013 5:31 am

I recommended ROYAL NIGHT CLUB in SOPOT (POLAND). Amazing atmosphere, tasteful design, beautiful dancers made me and my friends have a great time during the whole night. I encourage everyone to visit this club, especially if you want to experience something unforgettable.
    If you like to dance with charming and beautiful dancers, and you want to experience a thrill of pleasure – our club is perfectly for you.
    I give you my strong recommendation

12. viajeronomada May 15, 2013 5:40 am

One of the best cities to party in Europe is Madrid. Barcelona is great but Madrid is even better

13. WeLoveBudapest July 25, 2013 5:23 am

Just a few additional information about Budapest:
    don't forget the most famous attractions at day and night next to the spas are the so-called "ruin pubs" the first one is called Szilmpla and it's worth to visit!

But mainly I want to say thank you for selected my city!

14. WeLoveBudapest July 25, 2013 5:26 am

Here is a list of the best ruin pubs check it out!

15. JkB July 25, 2013 6:41 am

WOW, actually a good list on this topic. especially berlin and budapest….my top 2

1. #Travel Tag Roundup 4/29: Rome If You Want To - Travel Freak - April 29, 2013

[...] via @WildJunket – Of course, I also love to branch out from NYC and explore other urban jungles around the world – and it doesn’t hurt if they’re as fun to experience at night as during the day like these party cities in Europe. [...]