Top 7 Destinations for Photography Enthusiasts

Posted on July 1, 2010 by

As a photography enthusiast myself, capturing the beauty of a place is essential during my travels, especially if I have a story to go with it. Of all the striking travel destinations in the world, those ideal for photography often stand out for the natural blend of colors, nature and sunlight. Based on my previous travels and some hearsay, these are some of my personal favorite spots to take the perfect picture.

1. China

The poetic setting of karsts-studded Guilin, languid waters of Yangshuo River and the phenomenal Great Wall in Beijing – there are literally picture-perfect spots in every corner of China. This country is especially favored by landscape photographers, owing to the bountiful rivers, mountains and valleys littered throughout.

rice terraces of Guilin Flickr photo by Jack FrenchGuilin Flickr photo by Blazej Mrozinski

2. Peru

Some of our best shots were taken in Peru. It’s a heaven for photographers, whether you specialize in landscapes or human portraits. One group of people I particularly enjoyed photographing was the Uros tribe who lives on Lake Titicaca. Clad in brightly-colored traditional costumes, with dark silky hair and weathered faces, their ingenuity shines through in the photos. Of course, the emerald green terraces of Machu Picchu make powerful shots, especially when the afternoon sun rises.

tn_Macchu Picchu 6

tn_IMG_3002

3. Morocco

Morocco has that special charm that draws you in to a world of chaos, raucous noises and outrageous aroma. Another personal favorite, the buzzing Djemma el Fna square in Marrakesh is perfect for the hedonistic photographer, who likes to capture secret moments. Morocco has got so much to offer – from the Atlas Mountains to the sprawling Sahara Desert. With such diversity, your photos will also flicker from one extreme end to the other.

tn_IMG_9266

tn_IMG_9616

4. Laos

Of all of IndoChina, Laos is the only place I’ve never been and I’d always wanted to visit. The combination of bright orange robes that monks adorn, with the golden shimmering temples as the backdrop, Luang Prabang sets the scene for some challenging photography. Here, you can play with colors and also capture the faith present. Floating villages along the Mekong River are also intriguing objects to feature. It’s a good idea to include Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam in your next trip to Indochina.

Luang Namtha Flickr photo by whl travel

Temple in Luang Prabanag Flickr photo by jmhullot

5. The Galapagos Islands

Undoubtedly the best place in the world to photograph wildlife, the Galapagos Islands are nature’s masterpiece. Endemic animals roam freely, you can easily bump into a lazy sealion lounging on the beach, or a giant yellow land lizard hiding under the shade of a cactus, and even swim with hammerhead sharks. The best part is that due to the long isolation from human beings, these animals are not afraid of humans and tend to get close and sniff around.

Marine Lizard at Tortuga Bay

yellow land lizard at Seymour

6. The Himalayas

Home to the world’s highest peaks, the Himalayas range separates the Indian subcontinent from the Tibetan Plateau. For the hardcore landscape photographers, the endless clear skies and white snow-peaked mountains make for some phenomenal shots. Intriguing architecture and smiley locals in Tibetan villages are most frequently photographed. This is one place I’ve been longing to go, will be visiting Ladakh, the Indian Himalayas next month, will be back with more photos!

Ladakh Flickr photo by Magda & Maciek

3840735160_587d46792f Flickr photo by artisrams

7. Tanzania

Personally, for great portrait shots, Africa is the place to go. In Tanzania, people are friendly and children love to hang around. When I was volunteering in Tanzania, I would take pictures of my students or children on the road. When I showed them the picture, they would always giggle or tease each other – honestly, those were some of my best memories. Get deeper into the heart of Tanzania, and you’ll find yourself capturing the essence of its people. Of course, for wildlife buffs and landscape photographers, there are endless choices – Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti National Park and Lake Manyara.

P1020336

Childen in my village

*All the photos that are not credited were taken by myself and Alberto Molero, they cannot be used without my permission.

————————————————————————————————————————————–——————–———

Related Posts:

30 Responses to “Top 7 Destinations for Photography Enthusiasts”

1. Sherry Ott July 1, 2010 9:18 pm #

I've got to add Mongolia – it was the most stunning cultural and landscape photography I've done!
    Great list!

2. GengHui July 1, 2010 2:14 pm #

An awesome list of travel destinations, some of your above destinations are those that I would like to travel there (higher up on my priority list) e.g. Laos, Himalayas & also my own list of travel destinations.

U had an awesome travel blog here ! Keep traveling & sharing !

JH http://www.photojournalist-tgh.tv

3. Nellie July 2, 2010 1:48 pm #

Thanks Enghui, such kind words! Out of the the list, I've actually never been to Laos and the Himalayas. Will be off to the Indian Himalayas this month, cant wait!

Sherry, Mongolia!! I'm green with envy. It's THE one place I've been wanting to go. In fact, I was deciding btw India and Mongolia – but the trans-siberian railway would take up too much time. But definitely top on my list!

4. IndiaTravelPacakage July 3, 2010 9:10 am #

The pics of travel destinations are amazing….beautiful places must be explored by every traveler…

5. Ayngelina July 3, 2010 10:55 pm #

love these photos, thanks for the inspiration

6. Dave and Deb July 4, 2010 3:15 pm #

Great suggestions Nellie! China is high on our list! I would also like to suggest not to miss India for photography. Such a huge country with so many different opportunities to capture moments, landscapes, festivals etc. Loved it for photography!

• admin July 5, 2010 4:00 pm #

Dave and Deb! Thanks for the suggestion – we’re headed to India in 2 weeks’ time! Sure to catch some good shots there, looking forward to it. :)

7. stephsings July 4, 2010 7:55 pm #

I was lucky enough to go to China. It really is amazing. would highly recommend going to bei jing and Xi' an.

8. Kerrin July 6, 2010 9:52 pm #

This is a great list! I was lucky enough to spend a significant amount of time in China, and if you want to get some really beautiful shots, I would recommend a trip to the southwest province of Yunnan. From Kunming (the provincial capital) head to Tiger Leaping Gorge for some beautiful hiking that offers a lot of opportunities for some beautiful photographs.

9. Amadna March 27, 2011 8:45 am #

You really need to add Central Australia to this list. If you take a bad shot there, throw away your camera!

10. Kim March 27, 2011 11:17 pm #

Wow, I feel like I've visited a lot of great places to photograph, but never been to any of these. They are on my wish list.

11. Pooja Singh June 25, 2011 2:06 pm #

Really nice blog but you missed Cyprus here. I have visited most of these places and i totally agree with you these places are really beautiful. The pics in this blog are really great and a pleasure to watch.

• Nellie June 27, 2011 5:11 am #

Thanks Pooja, would really love to visit Cyprus someday, will definitely add it to my list of destinations!

12. fosterok June 29, 2011 5:26 am #

Awesome blog. The next best thing to being there in person.

• Nellie June 30, 2011 6:11 pm #

Aww that\’s a huge compliment, many thanks!

13. grace July 8, 2011 4:24 pm #

nice fic and great Photographer

14. May July 12, 2011 3:46 pm #

Ladakh is super gorgeous
    I was there 2 years back for a prigilmage
    It was breath taking

15. Austin-Lehman July 13, 2011 11:35 am #

WOW, great photos, we here at Austin-Lehman Adventures love to see amazing photos of beautiful destinations. You also made a great list of locations to travel to. We go to three of those locations: Machu Picchu, Morocco and the Galapagos. You should check out our Galapagos photos! http://bit.ly/naWFVD Another amazing location to take photos is Tuscany, also if you like stories that go with photos you should check out our blog on Tuscany http://bit.ly/oV9pI

Thanks for sharing this list, great stuff!

16. Austin-Lehman July 13, 2011 11:35 am #

Thanks for sharing this list, great stuff!

17. Todd @ Visit50.com July 15, 2011 11:29 am #

I loved Guilin, but then I visited Yangshuo the next day and thought it was even more impressive. Loved that whole area, and hadn't heard of either of them prior to my recent trip to China (as part of a 5-month, 15 country adventure)

18. Todd @ Visit50.com July 16, 2011 2:14 am #

Yangsuo was awesome, even better than Guilin.
    -Todd @ Visit50.com

19. thris82 July 26, 2011 11:42 am #

And of course a Good Camera is always an added advantage along with some photography skills :). I use my iPhone4 to take photography, not an optimum tool, but thankfully the photos turn out ok. Great tips by the way Nellie.

20. Jarmo July 30, 2011 8:01 pm #

Totally agree about China and Peru. Truly stunning countries, but China has the unfair advantage that it is absolutely huge country, of course you are going to have some stunning photography opportunities.

I’d also add Hong Kong to that list (I don’t count it as part of China ;). Small place maybe compared to some of the others, but offers so much different opportunities.

21. Ryan August 4, 2011 9:49 pm #

I’m so jealous of you right now, these destinations are a photographers paradise. I love the locals in Laos working in the fields.

22. Misha Sharma August 6, 2011 6:46 pm #

Just amazing. such lovely pics, loved them so much. But you missed Ladakh.

23. Vacation in India October 10, 2011 11:00 am #

Awesome Love the collection you have here.would recommend a trip to the southwest province of Yunnan.

24. Jeremy October 3, 2012 10:45 pm #

Galapagos would be number one for me… great list by the way, great photos too! :)

1. Smart Vacations | Smart Vacation Solutions - July 10, 2010

Simply Great European Cities…

I found your entry interesting so I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

2. Top 5 African Countries for Wildlife Watching | Wild Junket - July 15, 2010

[...] Top 7 Destinations for Photography Enthusiasts [...]

3. 6 Types of Wildlife Safaris - Wild Junket - August 4, 2012

[...] Posts:7 of the Best Trekking DestinationsTop 7 Destinations for Photography EnthusiastsVenturing into the Amazon Rainforest, EcuadorMingling with Wildlife on the Galapagos [...]