10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit

Posted on March 8, 2010 by

While I’m out and about exploring my new city Seville, Bryant from Gustey.com is filling in as a guest blogger, rounding up 10 of the safest cities to travel.

Some travelers still have qualms about traveling to certain destinations. For some,  it is a priority to know that the country you’re in is safe  or that the honeymoon you have always wanted is in a location with a good track record. With the help of CNN and MSNBC I have picked 10 of what I deem the safest cities in the world to visit. The factors going into these choices are natural disasters, social unrest, terrorism, and crime.

1. The Dutch ABC Islands

The Caribbean Islands have a reputation that can be shaky at times. There have been violent crimes and political unrest in Aruba, but the other islands in the group are doing well in terms of security and stability. Crime rates on the ABC Islands are comparatively low. There is no political unrest (as far as we know) and they are away from the usual hurricane route. They get a top vote for a heavenly combination of security and natural beauty.

aruba-beach

2. New Zealand

All in all New Zealand is one of the safest places in the world. No one really knows why. It might be due to its size and population, or maybe its isolated distance from the rest of the world that the country is generally peaceful, calm and stable. With organized cities and tranquil rural settings, New Zealand definitely makes for an excellent security hub for travelers.

1992778373_af4fff1f3f_o     Flickr photo by kiwinz

3. Ulster, Ireland

The Irish have always gotten a bad wrap for being fighters, drinkers, and the early mafia. Their gruff reputation should be overlooked when looking at Ulster as a travel destination. The Emerald Isle was just voted by the WHO as the least violent country in Europe. So don’t judge a clover by its leaves or Ulster might have to arm wrestle you for it.

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Ulster, County Antrim, Carrick-A-Rede, photo by Sky Travel

4. Cyprus

Cyprus is another place that has had its poor reputations. This reputation has since been bunkified. With its booming economy and Orthodox churches at the center of its culture, Cyprus makes the list, and has evolved into a haven for travelers. This Eurasian island located in the East Mediterranean packs both the laid-back beachfront lifestyle and a low cost of living into one treasure trove.

Cyprus photo by bahighlife.com

5. Switzerland

Switzerland it is one of the richest countries in the world – divided into three main linguistic and cultural regions. Famed for the Alps, chocolate and high standard of living, Switzerland is often on the dream list of those chasing after the high life. Whether you’re here for a winter break or a new permanent home, the security will definitely make you feel at ease.

Oberland   Flickr photo by Juan Rubiano

6. Singapore

Singapore makes a clean and safe destination thanks to its extremely low crime rate and stringent law. Its track record is impeccable since the ruling of first Prime Minister. Singapore is a place worth visiting not just for its safety but also its myriad of mixed ethnics and traditional heritage. With such diversity, there is much to explore and learn in the economic hub of Asia.

Singapore's night lights

7. Seattle, USA

Seattle is a tourist-friendly city, with well-equipped hostels, gorgeous scenery, and some of the best outdoor recreations in the country. A city that takes good care of its bike paths and recreational facilities deserves a nod for the world’s safest cities. In every corner there is a café or pub for visitors to hang loose and unwind.

Seattle by night Flickr photo by Bala

8. Luxembourg

The crime rate in Luxembourg is one of the lowest when compared to other European countries. Typical crimes are petty theft or infrequent break-ins. It has topped the list of world’s safest cities for years and deserves a visit for the traveling perks and well-developed infrastructure.

Luxembourg

9. Helsinki, Finland

For a capital city, Helsinki is voted by many as the safest city in the world. It has a large enough population to warrant areas to steer clear of especially at night, but generally speaking, it is a safe city for travelers. There is an unlimited array of fun activities to do, outdoor exploring, and overnight trips. Often a city overlooked by most travelers, Helsinki definitely deserves to be in the limelight.

3231119034_fbba86239f_o Flickr photo by Taiva Salla

10. Tokyo, Japan

Ranked 35th on the Mercer stats for safest cities, Tokyo ranks top in the list of safe Asian cities to visit. Much like Seattle in its urban influence, the city has a powerful economy and commercial strength. Its population is huge, its area expansive, but it still remains a secure society.

Tokyo

Related Posts:

Comments

comments

42 Responses to “10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit”

1. Jen Laceda March 8, 2010 10:23 pm #

Great round up!

• veer June 16, 2012 2:38 pm #

hmm

singapore??

• Nellie Huang June 18, 2012 1:34 am #

Yes Im originally from Singapore and I can definitely guarantee it is one of the safest places in the world – there are obviously statistics to back that up, such as low crime rates. You will have to visit for yourself to find out!

2. GregQ March 8, 2010 10:11 am #

Well it all depends on what you mean by "safe". If you mean safe from earthquakes and typhoons then you might need to take Japan off the list. If you mean safe from execution then you might need to take Singapore off your list. One of my countrymen (Australian) was hung there a year or two ago.

• Nellie March 8, 2010 4:06 pm #

I wouldn't think 'safe from execution' meant being in a secure and crime-free environment. Singapore is definitely a country safe from violence and natural disasters.

You're right – Japan is unfortunately not safe from natural disasters. But since this list is a roundup of destinations that are safe in terms of tourist-targeted crimes, I'll keep Japan on the list. Thanks for stopping by!

3. Adam March 8, 2010 3:14 pm #

By Ulster, I'm assuming you mean Northern Ireland? Certainly is very safe, except for Belfast where race crime is 3x higher than the rest of the UK.

4. backpacking-travel March 8, 2010 6:25 pm #

Thanks for the list! I think this should be forwarded to any overbearing parents out there. Love it how #'s 5, 6 and 7 all begin with "S"… I have heard good things about Singapore; Aside from being very conservative, I did recall someone sharing that city is ver,y very clean.

• Nellie March 9, 2010 7:31 am #

lol yes, this might ease your parents' mind! Singapore is quite an interesting melting pot of conservative yet progressive people and a cosmopolitan yet down-to-earth culture.

I'm from Singapore, so obviously I'm biased towards my home country – but they're right, it's very clean! We're also known as the Garden City – there's a side to us that many don't get to see: there are plenty of green spaces, tropical forests in the heart of the city.

5. Jen @ApproachGuides March 8, 2010 10:25 pm #

Wonderful list and beautiful photos. I like @backpacking-travel's idea of forwarding it on to parents, who may be concerned about where their children travel! For myself, I have found that every place is both safe and dangerous – it just depends on your timing.

• Nellie March 9, 2010 7:37 am #

I totally agree with you Jen – this post was written by a guest blogger, I personally believe there is not a big line of difference between safe and dangerous. There are obviously places that are not wise to thread but mostly it's up to our own discretion. While travelling through Central America and Tanzania recently, we'd heard so many horror stories of fellow travelers getting robbed at gun point or kidnapped and thrown off a moving vehicle, but we still left without any bad experience and felt relatively safe. We might have been lucky, but such things depend on how one behaves in a foreign country.

6. Trisha Miller March 9, 2010 1:14 am #

Great list Nellie – makes me want to pack my bags again! Something to fit everyone's travel style and budget. :)

7. cattello March 10, 2010 5:52 pm #

what about naples? just kidding. new zealand is surely the safest places we have been but as second most safe place to visit, for our personal experience, we would include malaysia, people were so respectful unlike thailand where many tried to rip us off at the first occasions and had to kept my bag under vigilant eyes at all times, maybe it was only our impression…

8. marta March 10, 2010 5:53 pm #

9. Anil March 12, 2010 12:33 pm #

I've walked up and down Seattle when I was there and never felt I was in a seedy part of town, which most cities around the world have. Great place to walk around, even though there are fare-free bases in some zones close to the city center.

10. Expat Heather March 21, 2010 12:18 pm #

Now how about 10 of the Most Dangerous Places to Visit? : )It's interesting, while my husband would go for countries on this list, I tend to look to the US Travel Warning List for inspiration.

• admin March 22, 2010 4:01 am #

That’s a good idea Heather, right I shall write a post on that. I’m quite similar in that sense, I like the thrill of going through harsh conditions and experiencing something out of the normal – dangerous places excite me!

11. Wynn March 30, 2010 1:20 pm #

Of course Singapore is on the list.

12. Thailand breeze April 8, 2010 5:15 am #

I also love delicious clam chowder soup served in a crispy bread bowl in Seattle!

13. mapquest April 17, 2010 4:11 am #

some say afg other colombia, who knows

14. Juno May 19, 2010 6:44 pm #

Wow. All great places! Safe and awesome too. Cyprus seems very nice! I’ve never thought USA is safe place to travel. :) thanks for great list!

15. Charlotte June 8, 2010 10:41 am #

Fantastic, though I am sure you have missed many ; I cannot believe that the safe haves are in such short supply. Please tell me this is not true! What about all those beautiful island in the south pacific. What about Victoria, Sydney, Adelaide in Australia. I would have thought at least Tasmania would have made the list.

• admin June 9, 2010 4:25 pm #

Thank you so much for dropping by Charlotte! Yes I probably missed out so many places in the world – I’d definitely like to visit the islands in the South Pacific – oh and Fiji, the French Polynesia and so many more. A guest blogger wrote this piece, a great list isn’t it!

16. bartcatapult June 9, 2010 4:47 pm #

really impress me much :), I need to go to one of them except Sing, I did it this year.. I wanna go to the other. Need to take some good shots ;) ..

well done and thanks for shared

17. Samui Guy March 24, 2011 12:55 pm #

Impressive list and sure to be useful to those out there looking for a hassle free vacation. For me however I can't imagine safety trumping many of my goals in a holiday. Not that I'm a risk taker or looking for thrills, it's just that for me if I wanted total safety I could just stay at home!

18. Roberto Ricolli June 19, 2011 7:58 pm #

I have visited most of these countries. I really liked Singapore and Cyprus and have to admit they are in the top 10. Great places to visit. BTW, didi you know that Cyprus has 56 Blue Star Beaches (Cleanest Beaches) !!

19. Andrea November 14, 2011 5:22 pm #

Ulster = Northern Ireland (UK), not Ireland and the Emerald Isle comprises two countries. Politics aside, I love NI and would recommend it as a travel destination to anyone.

• Donegal Man June 27, 2012 7:52 am #

I'm from ulster. Dun na nGall. Which is also Northern Ireland (it is the most northern county in ireland afteral)but not UK. And i love NI too in fact i love all of ireland(apart from belfast and dublin , they feel like ano country) Overall its a decent wee island

• Alhazred DeSane January 24, 2013 3:37 am #

Ulster does not = Northern Ireland. Ulster is a province of Ireland, and includes 6 counties in the occupied north (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Derry and Tyrone) as well as 3 counties in the Republic (Cavan, Donegal, and Monaghan).

20. Tasha December 4, 2011 2:47 pm #

I am 13 and i have lived in Belfast and am now living in Singapore. I think that, as much as i loved Northern Ireland, that Ulster should definitely not be in the top 3. I moved to Belfast when i was ten, even at that age i had witnessed horrible things and was never surprised when my school or train was canceled because of bomb scares. I remember i was once chased on my way to school by a couple of rowdy drunken men. I find Singapore so much safer. Besides that i found this very helpful with my geography homework.
    p.s. Be careful when you are stating weather Ulster is in Northern Ireland or Ireland. It can make people angry.

• Donegal Man June 27, 2012 7:56 am #

Tasha that is silly , ya silly billy :op what does it matter if you say ireland or nothern ireland its all the same as in ulster is in the island of ireland and has 9 counties 3 of which are in the republic. ulster can refer to any of the 9 counties.
      Proud Ulster man:o) and long for a day for a united ulster haha

21. Dev de Silva July 3, 2012 8:44 pm #

Seattle and Tokyo DO NOT deserve to be in the safest 10 – not even the safest 100. Instead, you can add Dubai and Scotland within the safest 10.

22. Alhazred DeSane January 24, 2013 3:32 am #

To the poster who said by "by Ulster I presume you mean Northern Ireland": Ulster is a province in Ireland, it comprises the occupied counties of the north of Ireland, as well as some counties in the free Republic. As a province, it has a lot to offer the visitor, and has some of the friendliest, most helpful people you'll ever meet.

23. Joe Mann March 11, 2013 2:19 pm #

I think there should be canada in this list its a very safe country and why should there be singapore in this list! f**kn ASIAN

24. deviantman April 4, 2013 12:00 am #

If you ask me, the safest destinations are the following :-
    1) Denmark
    2) Norway
    3) Switzerland
    4) Singapore
    5) Finland

New Zealand cant be in the list due to frequent earthquakes and plagues that has becoming quite frequent. US is still a highly volatile and dangerous place to visit due to many threats from many countries and also with surging threats of natural disasters eg Katrina, Sandy, el-nino and others.

25. @DWJustTravel April 12, 2013 7:40 am #

Wonderful list. However, wherever you travel, do edge on the side of caution and don't act in such a way that you wouldn't at home. Be sensible and you will be safe and enjoy your trip.

1. 6 of the Most Unusual Honeymoon Destinations | Wild Junket - March 16, 2010

[...] 10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit [...]

2. The World’s Most Secluded Islands | Wild Junket - September 7, 2010

[...] 10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit [...]

3. 9 Indulgent Designer Hotels for Label Lovers | Wild Junket - September 21, 2010

[...] 10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit [...]

4. 7 New Getaway Ideas from London | Wild Junket - September 21, 2010

[...] 10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit [...]

5. Top 6 Cities to Visit in the U.S. | Wild Junket - February 15, 2011

[...] 10 of the Safest Destinations to Visit [...]

6. World’s 8 Most Enchanting Islands - Wild Junket - August 2, 2012

[...] Posts:7 Alternative Summer Destinations6 of the Most Unusual Honeymoon Destinations10 of the Safest Destinations to VisitTop 8 Natural Wonders of the WorldWildJunket’s Favorite Spots to Spend Valentine’sWorld’s 7 [...]

7. Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Getting Travel Insurance - May 30, 2013

[...] you spend the week at some of the safest places to visit. Or will you be venturing to some of the most dangerous places to visit? This decision is [...]